Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications on iOS & Android: How to, What’s new, and What's been polished?

When you’re on the move, Jira notifications are crucial for staying up-to-date with project changes, status updates, and issue comments. (And more. So much more. Amiright?)

Jira notifications on iOS and Android have been buffed and polished; bugs have been identified and extracted; overall performance has been honed, enhanced, and accelerated – and more enhancements are in our pipeline.

4 copy.png

How to:

• Choose what you get notified about: Would you like to be notified about issues that are assigned to you, but not reported by you? Or issues that you’re watching, plus personal @mentions within comments, but not issues assigned to you? (Or any other combination. Your choice.) Go to Account > Notifications and tap each category to toggle on/off the default settings. Find more options by going to Account > Notifications > Channels. This opens your phone’s system settings.

Screenshot_20200207-095137_Jira.jpg

• Disable specific categories of notifications (Android only): Long-press a push notification and tap the switch to quickly disable that specific category (such as @mentions) without having to go to your settings.

• Reply to comments via push notifications: When you receive push notifications for new comments on issues, you can reply immediately via the notification, without opening the app.

• iOS: Long-press the notification (haptic/3D touch for some iPhones), or swipe the notification and tap View. 

• Android: Tap the notification’s chevron to reveal a Reply option.

Screenshot_20200207-132615_One UI Home (1).jpg

• Switch on Do Not Disturb mode (Android only): Like to switch off when you switch off? Go to Account > Notifications > Do not disturb and specify the days and times to block push notifications. Nothing on Fridays? No problem. Nothing before 10am? Easy.

• Remove individual notifications from your notification feed by swiping each one.

• Clear or mark all notifications as read: In the app’s notification screen, tap Edit (iOS) or the ‘more’ icon (Android) in the top right of the screen. (It’s also another way to access Android’s ‘snooze’ feature.)

Screenshot_20200625-121006_Jira.jpg

What’s new?

Notifications have received plenty of enhancements, including:

• Notifications now load faster on the app’s notification screen after adjustments were made to the backend.

• Opening issues from notifications is faster than ever now that we’ve prefetched issues in notifications.

• You’ll only receive high-priority push notifications when your device is in low power mode, helping to extend battery life. (Android only)

• Board activity notifications were hindering rather than helping, so we removed them.

What has been polished?

We’re always working to make notifications faster, more reliable, and more informative. Here are two sly bugs we extracted recently:

• Notifications were being a little unpredictable when people were swiping them away. Now they disappear faster than cake in the office kitchen.

• Notifications were occasionally playing tricks with airplane mode on some devices, unleashing themselves upon the device once airplane mode was disabled and crashing the device in the process. That’s fixed.

The reliability and overall user experience of Jira’s notifications are among our top priorities, and further enhancements are on our development roadmap.

What other features would you like to see? Let us know below!

2 comments

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2020

Great @Hannah McKenzie !

Like Hannah McKenzie likes this
Shari Barchus August 1, 2022

I really like the notifications in the Jira Cloud app, and find them very helpful (as they come to me fast than via email.  What I don't see however, is a way to disable sound for the notifications (like I can do on other Android apps on my phone) I don't want to enable Do Not Disturb as that would silence my test messages, phone calls. Is there a way you know of to make the notifications silent?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events