Announcement: Sunsetting the Jira Cloud for Mac App

267 comments

Khaled AbuShqear February 18, 2022

maybe they're looking for 1000+ pages of comments to realize how stupid is this decision!!

Like # people like this
Marcelo Paredes February 18, 2022

While I agree this is an uninformed, wrong decision based probably in the (unexplainable) urge to justify the development of a new "Multiplatform" version of this application, based on a trendy but not really abetter option (the electron-based idea posted elsewhere by  @Irene : we either keep our Mac native (not electron-based, and ideally also not flutter-based since it still uses a different rendering engine taken from android....), or we start recommending our workplaces/customers/own business to look for a JIRA replacement. Atlassian didn't even come up with a Mac Confluence application, so we're already started accumulating evidence for such reccomendation long ago.

Like Niÿx likes this
Brando Calrissian February 18, 2022

The bottom line is it's impossible to make the web app perform anywhere near the same as a native application. There are no improvements you can make that will satisfy us to where we would rather not use the Mac app, because it's a fundamental problem of web technologies, the best of which still do not come close.

Like Niÿx likes this
Daniel Bergquist February 18, 2022

Rather than waiting for Atlassian to do the right thing, I've been looking around for 3rd party options.

If you don't mind the commandline, I've been rolling with this 3rd party project: https://github.com/ankitpokhrel/jira-cli

It's missing a few features (eg. can't assign some fields, can't really view attachments). However, it is overall quite easy to use for a CLI, has Markdown support that works, is fast, and is easy to directly open an issue in the web app when needed. No more navigating slow web menus.

It's also under active development! I hope that helps!

Like Niÿx likes this

Sorry for the duplicate post. Even this forum here doesn't work well, it never indicated that the previous post went through. :-(

Rather than waiting for Atlassian to do the right thing, I've been looking around for 3rd party options.

If you don't mind the commandline, I've been rolling with this third party project: https://github.com/ankitpokhrel/jira-cli

While it's missing a few features that would be useful (eg. can't assign some fields, can't really view attachments). It is, however overall quite easy to use for a terminal app, has Markdown support that actually works, is fast, and is easy to directly open an issue in the web app when needed. No more navigating slow web menus.

It's also under active development! I hope that helps!

Like # people like this

Mis-posted again. Ignore.

Like Niÿx likes this
Usman Younas February 21, 2022

"However, since its launch in 2019, the performance of Jira’s web and native mobile apps has improved..."

Wow. I wonder what makes them say that?

Like Niÿx likes this
Justin February 21, 2022

@Usman Younas 

"However, since its launch in 2019, the performance of Jira’s web and native mobile apps has improved..."

Wow. I wonder what makes them say that?

Ignorance and indifference.

Like # people like this
Demetris Karacostas February 22, 2022

Let's be extremely honest here. The Jira native application provides superior experience than the web interface. Much easier to navigate and work with your current issues. It is dreadful to see it go...

Like Eric likes this
Léon Tebbens February 22, 2022

Everybody in our company likes the app because it is SO MUCH FASTER than the painstaking slow web version. 

Maybe reconsider the decision using the suggestion others already made: use ONE codebase for an iOS, iPadOS and MacOS Jira app.
In this way, the iOS/iPadOS app for Confluence can also be made available for the Mac :-).

PS: vote for the app JIRACLOOUD-78044.

Like Niÿx likes this
rolandoc February 22, 2022

I thought I should add to the sentiment. I think the App should be kept, minimally to cater those who prefer it.  If you don't want to support it, make it open source and have the others maintain it.

Fausto Marasco February 22, 2022

This seems like a really poor decision and based on the huge number of comments in this forum, one that is deeply unpopular with the user base.

Having a dedicated app provides isolation against the often poor performance you get when browsers are overloaded.

I hope the volume of support for the native application expressed in these posts give you the courage to reconsider this decision. 

Like Niÿx likes this
Tomasz Gawłowski February 23, 2022

I don't understand a bit. More features it's not equal better software. The app is much faster and more friendly for task managing :(

Like Niÿx likes this
Jackson February 23, 2022

Please, everybody who doesn't want to native macOS App being stopped, go vote here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-78044 and write that we don't want an electron app, but a real native app. Otherwise, the issue is not being looked at, since the suggestion doesn't have enough votes yet.

Like # people like this
Giorgos Papadakis February 24, 2022

really sad i am mobile dev, having over 4 gmail profiles (personal, bussiness) and lots and lots of tabs is really a nightmare for me.
But having really productive apps in my menu bar like vscode, intellij, slack and jira to access them quickly is very critical for me.

So where is your future? between 50 chrome tabs

Like # people like this
Colin Myers February 25, 2022

I was just about to switch to the app :(

Like # people like this
Aristidis Zoutsos March 3, 2022

The web app is 10 times slower and more memory hungry. Please reconsider. You could close the web version and make only native apps.

Like Niÿx likes this
Niÿx March 3, 2022

You could have said "killing the Jira Cloud for Mac App", which is exactly what this decision feels like. 
That's not a nice move, Atlassian. Not nice at all.
*sigh* back to the slow web browsing and clunky interactions. 

Please reconsider this decision.

Like A Z likes this
Dan Korkelia March 4, 2022

That is very sad news. The app is very useful and improves workflow tremendously. It's a very strange anti-user decision. As others mentioned, considering recent changes in Apples approach to cross platforms options between iOS, iPadOS and MacOS this seems like a poor decision.

Very disappointed.

Like # people like this
Ken Evans March 15, 2022

Big mistake by Atlassian here. We are looking for a simpler and cleaner product. Now I guess we will look somewhere else.

Tomáš Holenda March 18, 2022

Finally way to use Jira handy and quick on Mac. Wow, sad news.

Annika Wittig March 18, 2022

I hope there will be a sunset for MacOS some day in the future. The web version of JIRA is super slow and I always need to open Safari... I loved the native app - it was so easy working with it. Since there is no native app available, my team needs to move to Asana. Would love to come back to JIRA with a native app for MacOs

Mirko March 23, 2022

Very bad decision, Mac app is lighter, faster and has everything I need. Much, much better overall experience than web version. Hopefully this decision will be reevaluated.

Amir March 23, 2022

The macOS app is super nice and fast compared to the web version. Please keep it alive!

Scott Davenport March 23, 2022

We decided to tackle this problem ourselves with Japetus.  We are onboarding users each day and things are getting better and better.  We hardly go into the Jira web app ourselves any longer.  If you are interested in using Japetus join our waitlist at https://japet.us.  We would love to have you and will get you in very soon.  Our early users are loving the experience.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events