Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcement: Sunsetting the Jira Cloud for Mac App

269 comments

Pedro Gonçalves
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 3, 2022

Really sad to mac app go 😔  

Like Marcelo Paredes likes this
Amy Chang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 3, 2022

I logged in just to complain. Like everyone here, I prefer the Jira mac app to the web app in every way. This is terrible news. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Like # people like this
Tommy Minahan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 3, 2022

Please re-think this decision! :( 

Like Youssef El Baba likes this
Fernando Rodriguez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 4, 2022

I manage a few projects in Jira, and to be honest, the Mac App is way better than the Web App, I even use the iPad App when I am on the go.

I think just the same as every other person commenting here, it's a shame to see the Mac App going away.

I also ask you to please re-think this decision!

Like # people like this
Coby Fuller February 4, 2022

A little disappointed in this decision, but only a little. The only reason that I use the app is for the desktop notifications, which the browser version does not offer. Any new news around this? I am aware that [JRACLOUD-62163] Desktop Notification Support - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products has been submitted and is gathering interest, but this does not help me with the current situation. 

Kevin Shaw February 4, 2022

What a terrible idea.  WebApp is nice, but too slow to use on a regular basis.  I keep 100+ tabs open on my browser windows, so its often hard to find also.  The dedicated Jira application is alway available with a Cmd+Tab operation.  Fast.   I only really started using Jira when I finally had this app.  Its a shame because I was really starting to like Jira.  Probably won't use it as much.  Its not that Jira is on the web is bad, its that small delays for click-after-click-after-click become irritating and eventually its just too irritating to use.  

Like # people like this
Karl Fusaris
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 5, 2022

Yeah it would be SO easy to just wrap the webapp in an application wrapper.

Is the webapp at least a PWA so I can run it in a separate "app" window rather than in my browser that is already too crowded with tabs?

Marcelo Paredes February 5, 2022

@Karl Fusaris - That seems to be exactly what they were expecting us to accept as a replacement. In a different (jira) issue they're tracking interest on a new "Multiplatform" desktop application and originally they seemed to be hellbent on the electron-based (PWA somehow?) solution which Mac users are not quite fond of.

@Irene — Again, I see this a bad decision, probably caused by the excessive enthusiasm in replacing it with some half-baked "Multiplatform" memory/resource hog based on electron approach. Visual Studio Code is NOT the typical electron-based application, in that it is already that complex and does that many things by itself that the electron overhead is "just another gigabyte" (or half). It is (by means of its extensions) at the level of what full-fledged IDE may provide, so you really should expect it to use a lot of resources. The desktop JIRA app, instead, presents a (hopefully beautiful) UI for things that run mostly elsewhere! That much resources are not justified at all! Which is also true for the web interface for JIRA, which is the reason that much people would rather use the current native application than the web site.

Like # people like this
Daniel Bergquist February 5, 2022

@Karl Fusaris @Oh please no. A web wrapper or PWA would just bring all the problems of the web app people want to avoid into the “desktop” app.

Like Juan Fornos likes this
Jay
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 5, 2022

According to the comments this decision was not very well thought out, Luckily we do have a chance to make things right and scrap this bad Idea.

Craig February 5, 2022

@Karl Fusaris - You can do that now at https://webcatalog.io/webcatalog ... the only problem it solves, however, is the ability to have Jira running separately from the browser so you can tab over to it. As @Daniel Bergquist mentions above, the inherent issues with the web app remain.

Kamal Wadhwa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2022

Jira mac app was a blessing in the curse and using the web version is a curse and an extremely painful experience.

I feel users were more bound to use the Mac app instead of the web and since you guys invested a lot in the cloud tech you just felt this was putting the whole thing off. Anyways, this is a bad decision and Jira will now be an awful experience for many devs henceforth!!!

Like # people like this
Brando Calrissian February 7, 2022

A mistake. The app modernized Jira, and made its usage much more tolerable. The app was like a nice new electric vehicle. The web app is like a clunker of a 1990s Ford pickup. 

Like # people like this
Vivek Manjunath
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2022

Terrible, terrible decision. The website does not have notifications and is very sluggish at times. In addition, having an electron app will make it worse since the website is slow. 

Please reconsider and do not kill the MacOS app.

Like # people like this
Gerald Oluoch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2022

Sad to hear this announcement to sunset the mac app. Please rethink this decision. 

Ernestas Kvedaras
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2022

Please spare my eyes then and release dark mode for web at last... It was the only reason I installed this app.

Like # people like this
taron.manvelian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 8, 2022

Very sad news

Like Youssef El Baba likes this
Daniel Markvard Randazzo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 10, 2022

the "web app" is slow and has other flaws (no dark mode e.g.)

Please reconsider.

Like # people like this
Nikita Gorelikov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 10, 2022

Terrible news, web browser take a such a huge amount o memory and works so slow(

Like # people like this
Stephen Watson February 10, 2022

I echo a number of the comments already made here. For some people that have attention/focus issues, like ADHD, the minimal-look user interface is a massive help. What we can now do in a browser app is incredible, but that is now the go-to app for most tasks and can therefore be a major source of distraction.

I appreciate this isn't a concern for many when deciding where to invest R+D time and budget, but the App really allows you to stay focused and block out the other multiple distractions that often come with your browser.

viva, Jira App.

egage
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 10, 2022

Moving away from having a Mac app is the wrong move here. I also noticed that the Jira cloud app for iOS doesn't install on my M1 Mac (get's an incompatibility error and re-directs to this app; the one that is sunsetting).

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2022

Yikes - I even recommended the macOS app to someone the other day without knowing it was on its way out. 😢

Hopefully the Apple mobile OS versions of Jira get more robust so I can use those on a macOS device!

Alex SENKEVYCH
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 14, 2022

This is terrible news. The web version does not match the application for mac OS. I don't respect you for that !!

Like # people like this
Youssef El Baba
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2022

Hello,

with my respect, I highly object to this and think it's a bad decision. There's something nonesensical about there being an app on the iPad, whereas nearly the same exact same app can run on macOS (with barely any modifications), but you claim that it's not possible to add all features on macOS.

For basic functionality, the app is much snappier than the web interface, which is very laggy even on fast browsers (Safari). This is very much a regression in terms of quality, not an improvement, for macOS users.

Since making iPad apps run on macOS has been made significantly easier by Apple, there's really no excuse anymore for having such an app not available on macOS.

This decision doesn't seem to have been studied with the relevant customer base in mind (JIRA users on mac), so please reconsider.

If anything, you should be considering bringing over OTHER atlassian apps from the iPad (e.g. confluence), not retiring existing ones 

Best

Frank Janssen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 18, 2022

This should not be the way to go. 

The App is much faster and easier to use than the web. Also having tons of tabs in safari open the app is more and better accessible than the web version.

It is very sad to hear you are not investing in app anymore because this is an enrichment for the Mac user.

please review your decision 

regards

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events