Announcement: Sunsetting the Jira Cloud for Mac App

267 comments

sriharshajuspay January 19, 2022

Bad decision I'd say. Especially since Jira on the Web does not support a dark mode yet.

Like # people like this
Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2022

@Majid Hussain 

Majid thanks for sharing your feedback. We continue to build new features for our iOS and Android Apps for Jira Software, Jira Service Management and Confluence. If there is a particular feature you would like to see please let us know!

Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2022

@Herb Hrowal 

Thanks for your comment Herb. Our product team is heavily investing in delivering a faster experience, and that is a big reason why we are sunsetting the app. In the last year we’ve accomplished several performance improvements like viewing issues 1.5x faster, creating issues and loading dashboards at 2x faster speed. Learn more here!

Garry Taulu January 19, 2022

This is quite surprising especially since this was a big app announced during WWDC that would be adopting the Mac Catalyst tech. I'm guessing this also means the iPad app won't be getting many enhancements since they would both share quite similar codebases? 

Hopefully you'll able to enable the iPad app to run on M1 Macs at least. 

Like # people like this
Liron
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2022

@maik.hummel 

Hi Maik, thanks for your comment. The web version also provides the ability to individually clear notifications and to ‘mark all as read’ as well. Additionally it is possible to only view the unread notifications. Please let us know if there is something else you are looking for and we can pass it on to the relevant notifications team.

jack
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2022

Thanks, @Paul Marroquin for your feedback and passion. Please go ahead and vote for that feature request, if we have any further updates on a Jira desktop app we will provide them there.

jack
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2022

@Loïc B. thanks for sharing your concerns with the speed of web vs macOS. We are working on building the fastest version of Jira Cloud and have shipped several improvements in the last year (see here!). It’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed the macOS version and feel free to still use the macOS app for daily work.

jack
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2022

Hi @Will Jones , thanks for your feedback. I totally understand where you are coming from. As mentioned in earlier comments here, the main reason is that we intentionally have to differ of features and experiences between web and mobile for the sole reason of them being different platforms for different contexts and purposes. As such, the Mac app sharing the exact same codebase as the mobile app does not make much sense and going forward this is not a sustainable solution that will yield the best experience for either platform (as in, we will need to compromise either the Mac app experience or the iOS app experience). This is why we are considering a multi-platform desktop app, that will have the advantages of the Mac app, but will not require us to keep it at parity with any mobile native app. Please vote for this ticket and watch it, we will be updating our progress through it there.

Like # people like this
jack
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2022

@andrethanks for sharing the feedback on Kanban boards in the Mac app. We will share this with team, and please follow our latest web releases for process improvements.

jack
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2022

Thanks @Craig for your feedback. We continue to evaluate a multi-platform desktop app, please go ahead and add your vote and feedback to this feature request. We will provide any updates that we have there.

Radoslav January 19, 2022

That's very bad decision. The native Mac app was the only reason I was still using Jira. I guess you made it easy for me to switch to GitHub boards, thanks.

Also can you explain to me how come in 2022 your web version does not support DARK mode? Every major platform now has that, I don't want my eyes burned when I open that laggy pice of software in my web browser!

Like # people like this
Johan Kool January 20, 2022

Hmpf, I am not happy. This was the one thing that made Jira somewhat bearable.

Like # people like this
Rob Sammons January 20, 2022

It’d great if you would at least allowed m1 macs to download the jira ipad app once it is retired 

Philipp Bischoff January 20, 2022

Very bad news and can't understand the decision. Performance in the client was way better in comparison with the web app. The app itself was one of the key factors for us to use Jira at all. Please at least let mac users use the iPad app.

Like # people like this
Luis Oroquieta January 20, 2022

Bad decision! the app works much better than the web!

Like Isaac Moore likes this
Justin January 20, 2022

@Liron 

"there are some intentional differences between the web and the iOS app"

This right here is a fundamental problem. For iOS apps, particularly the iPad version, there's no longer an excuse for this. If you're intentionally removing features from iOS then you aren't properly supporting the platform. With this attitude it's no wonder the Mac app was missing features as well.

Even so, the native app is still far better than the web version. Over the years Jira has become bloated, slow, and internally inconsistent. Honestly the same goes for Confluence, especially the editor.

Like # people like this
Paolo.Pavan January 20, 2022

Oh no! Really dislike this. I was hoping to get the group tasks in swim lanes by epics feature on my Mac and instead I got the app retired. 

davemurdock January 20, 2022

The only reason I wasn't using the macOS app was because the last time I tried it didn't work with our internal hosted instance. I was hoping that would be added one day and then you'd see your usage numbers skyrocket. Used the app at a previous job & I loved it because the web interface is horrible. The amount of time in my day it wastes is incalculable. The number of tabs I have open of the same story is enormous. There's very little reason a company of your size can't maintain this when you have an iOS development team. You're already 90% of the way there as so many have said.

Like # people like this
davemurdock January 20, 2022

No multi-platform Electron pile of garbage please.

Like # people like this
Paul Bauer January 20, 2022

does this mean the web app will stop being terrible and take <10s to load every page?

Thomas L Stanley January 20, 2022

I understand this was probably a business decision made by a disconnected PO, but good grief does this  decision sure rub me the wrong way...as many others have pointed out, the Jira web side is a bloated monstrosity.  It's unreliable, changes frequently and with little warning (thank you "agile" software development...)...and is just outright SLOW AS MOLASSES.  Who's bright idea was it to take a step backwards? Please consider this more, you have plenty of competition that isn't allergic to native applications, which we are already evaluating with purpose...

Like # people like this
Liron
Atlassian Team
January 20, 2022

Justin @Justin (I hope I'm tagging the right Justin...)

" If you're intentionally removing features from iOS then you aren't properly supporting the platform. "

Just in response to the above , to clarify - no, we are not intentionally removing features from iOS. What we mean is that a mobile app is never going to be exactly the same as a web app, simply due to its size, context of usage etc. The way people use Jira Software when they’re seated at their desks is totally different to the way they use it on their phones, on the go. If we are to support the ‘on the go’ cases in the best way, and the desktop cases in the best way, some separation sometimes occurs (it may not be which features, but sometimes how these features come about in the user experience).
The Mac app was somewhere in between the two - it shared code with the iOS app, which is a mobile, on-the-go scenario, but it was used in a desktop context - which is closer to the web app scenario. To really provide an excellent desktop experience AND separately a mobile experience we need these to not have the same codebase. Which is why we are encouraging customers to voice the need for desktop multi platform app on this feature request ticket, where we will continue to update you all on our progress. We are as inspired as you to continue delivering the best experience possible.

Will Jones January 21, 2022

@Liron surely then it would make more sense (and not annoy quite as many customers) if there was an alternative desktop app to switch to immediately upon end of support, instead of leaving us hanging for however long it's going to take between discontinuing this one and releasing a new one?

Thing is, the mac app is fine. Yes it blurs the lines between on the go and in the office, but why does that matter? For quick managing work when "on the go" AT my desk (i.e. I don't have time to waste waiting for a slow, clunky web app to load and bog down my laptop), the mac app is the obvious choice. If I need to go and use features that aren't there (for example changing project settings, adding fields, modifying workflows etc), then I have no problem using the web app because those things are probably 2% of the things I do in the software. The other 98% is managing issues, which is what the desktop app excels at.

Like # people like this
konradk January 21, 2022

It's a very sad news. macOS app was much more concise, faster and used much less RAM than the full web version. For many users that only wants to maintain few tasks, changing their status - it's all they need. Especially that having that separated as an app was also a big benefit.

JIRA Mac app, from what I can tell is using Catalyst tech, so in fact it's an iPad app build for the Macs. How it was such a support burden on you guys?

If you indeed won't reverse your decision, maybe at least allow for JIRA iPad app to be installed on M1 Macs instead.

Like # people like this
Morialkar January 21, 2022

@Liron your response just goes to show how little you understand of how people want to use the mac native app. It also shows that you have no respect for the iPad as an independent platform since all the argument you used were only related to phones and small factor. No one want 1 for 1 functionality of the web app in the native one. We just want something blazing fast to browse tickets, update and communicate info about them, track our time and that's it. That covers 90+% of most people's usage of Jira period. Anything that is not in the app can easily be done by accessing the slower web interface and that's all right for everyone. We just want a bigger iPhone/iPad app, we don't want a complete software...

I just don't see how this, coming from a giant company like Atlassian, the same people who built Source Tree years ago because there was no good native alternative, would consider dumping a perfectly good, fully coded and working native app at the time that they are starting to "gather interest" in the possibility of making a multi platform mess with some sort of multi-platform framework (of which, currently on desktop anyway, there aren't many good. Flutter is way too far from stable on all desktop platforms to be considered and that's the only solid one other than like old school Java...). Just add subtasks in the mac app and other logical features for browsing and updating tickets on the day to day and if you so much want to build a new product, why don't you go build a .NET version for windows, that has actual "interest"...

Now all you'll get is more people trying really hard to make their team move away from Jira, which will be me since this is too obtuse for me to let this go or have any trust in any product you will put out in the future. I burned that bridge with Google, now I guess it's time to burn it with Atlassian, thanks...

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events