Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ability to close a sprint from the backlog?

Gabriela Salvador November 11, 2021

I could've sworn I saw the "Close Sprint" button on the Backlog view a few days ago on a Jira Cloud project - now I think that was just a Monday morning pre-coffee hallucination because I haven't seen it since. Having the ability to close a sprint from the Backlog view would be extremely helpful - does anyone know if this feature is in the Jira dev pipeline?

2 answers

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2021

@Gabriela Salvador -

As the best practices, you should always access the Active Sprints view to close out a sprint.  When you access the Active Sprints view and you have multiple active sprints, then you will need to select the appropriate sprint first.  Only then you will see the "Complete Sprint" button.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Gabriela Salvador November 15, 2021

Thanks Joseph, yes, that's how we've been closing sprints. We tend to have only 1 active sprint per Jira project and our organization is on the same sprint cycle.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2021

@Gabriela Salvador -

If your team is already follow the proper process in closing out a sprint, then why you want to close sprint via the Backlog view?

Best, Joseph

Many new users to our Jira get confused by having to go to the Active Sprints page to close a sprint. We had a team that had been deleting sprints in their backlog at sprint end because they didn't realize how to close out the sprint :) 

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

Hi @Gabriela Salvador ,

with TMP projects you can complete the sprint from backlog view not not CMP projects.

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2021

Exactly.

TMP differ from CMP.

Interesting. All of our Jira projects are CMP so that we can have consistent settings across projects. I could've sworn I saw the Close Sprint button in the backlog (which made me do a double take!) but it must've been a blip on my screen.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events