cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing External System Import?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2022

Hello Fellow Admins!

It has been some time since I have been required to run an external system import (from a CSV file).  I may be remembering incorrectly and/or this was a feature exclusive to the server version, but I thought there was a link/button while going through the wizard of the external system import to "Test" the import for errors before actually running it.

Am I wrong about this?  I have already tested this I'm just being overly paranoid.

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon -

Hello there:

Based on my knowledge -

Via External System Import process, you will not see the "Validate" process function prior to the actual import for configuration testing.  I don't or can find what @Heather Ronnebeck mentioned.  Maybe, there is something I missed.

As far as I know, the validate process function is only available when one uses "Import issue from CSV" under the "Issue" option.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Ryan October 20, 2022

Cloud behaves the same way.  The Import from the Issue list has Validate, while External System import in Admin does not.

The catch is that the External System Import allows for updating issues with assigning a Key column, as well as more complex linking.  

Like # people like this
Troy Anderson October 20, 2022

Been running JSON files in via Admin so have not seen it.  Thanks for the insight, @Ryan 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2022

Ok, I had a chance to test this out and this is 100% where I was confused.  Yes the import from CSV on the issues page "does" have a validate button.  However, you can't use this to update the fields of existing issues.

Using the Admin - External System Import, doesn't have the "Validate" button, but does offer a wider variety of what you can do with the data you are importing.

Thank you all for helping me out with this!  I really appreciate it!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Sarah Spalding October 20, 2022

Hello. 

When you go thru the import process and get to the end, you can "Validate" the data before you import. 

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

Thank you that's what I was looking for!

1 vote
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

Hey @Jimmy Seddon 

While going through the bulk import steps there is a stage where it asks if you'd like "validate" instead of test your configuration before it does the actual import. 

It won't import the csv file until you hit the import button. If you do the validate step, it will validate then ask if you want to import. 

I hope this helps. If need be I can send you screenshots. I actually just ran through the GUI in cloud for this late last night for an assignment. 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

Thanks Heather!  I'll reach out if I need extra assistance.  I appreciate the offer!

Troy Anderson October 20, 2022

This is on Server, yes?  Have not run into a 'validate' option while using our Cloud install.

0 votes
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2022

Aside from the 'validate' option (which is invaluable), if you have a Cloud Premium, I suggest you set up a sandbox instance, included with your premium subscription.

Then you can test it to your heart's content until you get it right, then you perform the actual migration to your production environment.

This is what I did when I migrated from server to cloud last year.

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

These have all been fantastic responses, thank you all for taking the time to chime in (I'm really happy decided to post this topic here).  I'll check things out tomorrow and I'll report back with what I find.

Thank you!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events