Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Request Type

Clare Lawson August 4, 2022

Hi All,

Does anyone know what this means?  No request type?  We have never seen this before.  Is it a "new feature?"  I haven't changed anything in Jira.  Help :) No Request Type.PNG

5 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2022

Hi, @Clare Lawson. You will find an answer to your question here: Improving the Create Issue Experience in Jira Service Management Cloud. It was released in early July 2022 and then retracted and then relaunched a few days ago.

You may follow this feature request [JSDCLOUD-1211] Customer Request Type not visible on edit and create screen - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2022

@Jehan Gonsalkorale Maybe you can chime in here with a suggestion for all those who are not ready to use this feature.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2022

Hi @Clare Lawson ,

Thanks for raising this and sorry for the confusion. I'm the product manager that pushed these changes out. We're aware that we've created some end user frustration here and do apologise for that. Subsequent releases will involve more clear communication. 

The new request type field is intended to encourage people to select a request type. The reason for this is that, at least from what we've seen, the vast majority of issues should have a request type mapped to ensure that the issue behaves as expected. Common problems of issues that don't have request types are:

1. Issues not appearing in the customer portal
  2. Customer notifications not firing, even when the customer is on the ticket
  3. Integrations with change management and incident management features not working
  4. SLAs not working

Some issues in JSM, like "Task" and "Subtask", don't come with request types in our templates (subtasks can't be mapped to request types) and we are looking to introduce issue layouts for these issue types in the future so there is some project level configuration to surface. 

In the meantime, the idea is to encourage request type usage unless you are sure you don't want to use them. 

I hope this gives you a sense of what we are intending to do here. I'd love to get your thoughts. What do you think about these changes? And does our approach make sense to you? 

Best regards,

Jehan Gonsalkorale

Product Manager, Jira Service Management

P.S. Thanks @Kalin U for tagging me in this post. 

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2022

Hi @Clare Lawson

request types exist in Jira Service Management projects and represent different types of requests your customer can create. These customer request types can in the end all still result in the same issue type (if desired).

If you don't set a request type on an issue, you can't share the request with a customer since Jira doesn't recognize it as a proper JSM issue.

There's also more background in the documentation here.

Here are some questions to better understand your problem:

• What's the behavior you're irritated by? That you see the whole request type field? Or that you don't see request types to select from?
  • Are you working inside a JSM project?

Cheers,
Matthias.

Eugen Eckmann August 4, 2022

Well, we do not use requestt types in our Jira Service Management project. Any idea, how to remove this message from the issue creation screen?

Lewis Cook August 4, 2022

I can't see that there is a field on a screen for request type. On our service desk we have a few issue types hidden from the portal - which therefore don't have associated request types. It appears that when creating one of these the request type is just switched to a default copy of the issue type.

E.G: Issue type without Request type.png

Less that ideal but I guess if you create an Request type for one of your issue types it will remove the unsightly error on the creation screen. If you aren't using and therefore distributing the portal link it shouldn't have any adverse affects.

I guess there is a question of what functionality you are gaining from using a service desk project if you aren't using the portal. Perhaps you should use one of the other project types?

Like Tanya Christensen likes this
0 votes
Sue Wilson August 4, 2022

@Clare Lawson this looks like you might be creating a task in a JIRA Service Management Project that may have issue types associated, but no Request Types, which are what would be seen via portal if configured that way.

0 votes
Lewis Cook August 4, 2022

Hi @Clare Lawson ,

I would assume you are using a project with the type "Service Desk". You setup request types and assign your (internal) issue types to them in order for them to be visible on your portal for your customers.

Thanks

Lewis

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events