Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to remove Components from a project?

Sean December 2, 2022

Having a project team with a clear side bar ,without Components, is the goal here.

So you can have a screen with out components but still the project has this on the side.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 13-19-06 REQDEMO7 board - Agile Board - Jira.png

The rest of the side bar is controlled by the Features setting, does anyone know how to accomplish this?

EDIT: sorry if this wasn't clear my objectives are due to the organization that deals with various levels of technical knowledge, so I often try to simplify things. Many projects in this organization are not using components and never will and I would like them to not see it in the side bar.

6 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

8 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Hi @Sean ,

unfortunately you cannot remove Components from the sidebar. 

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2023

Would be a great enhancement to manipulate them or at least hide them so you can remove ones you are not using any longer.

Like Clancey likes this
3 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

@Sean -

I agreed with what @Jack Brickey stated, one cannot remove "Components" listing from the side bar even if the project doesn't use it.  Components is a default functionality of Jira/JSM application in both Cloud/Server envs.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

1 vote
S Fong December 2, 2022

Since we can't remove the components on the sidebar, would you want to change the permission so people can not make edit to the components even if they see it?  Would that help to achieve your goal even though it's not ideal?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2022

agree...understanding more completely your objective may lead to an acceptable solution.

Like Zhangyesen likes this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2022

agree too.  By default, only project Administrators role members can manage components in both Jira/JSM applications.

Best, Joseph

1 vote
Haddon Fisher December 2, 2022

I don't think this would be possible on Cloud. You might be able to do it on Server\DC using ScriptRunner though.

Zhangyesen December 6, 2022

Can ScriptRunner be run in Cloud?Because It is a frame?

Haddon Fisher December 6, 2022

Like Jira itself, ScriptRunner for Server is a very different application than ScriptRunner for Cloud.

SR for Server has a concept called "Script Fragments" that can, among other things, be used to manipulate the Jira UI, and I think could maybe hide things like the 'Components' menu option.

However the Cloud architecture doesn't give add-ons a way to get at this functionality; my guess is they were doing some pretty low-level hackery to make changes that are OK in a single-instance box but would never be safe\secure\scalable in a multi-tenant architecture.

Like Sean likes this
Zhangyesen December 6, 2022

Thank you,I often want to make some changes to the original UI of Jira Cloud like the title owner, and I'm worried about this!

0 votes
David Loszewski March 7, 2023

Actually you can remove it, by using ?mode=global at the end of your url.   I have everyone go to a landing page that has ?mode=global at the end (which is bookmarked of course) and then all the links from that page also use ?mode=global, best solution I could find but it does work

0 votes
Karen Bottai December 2, 2022

I'd want to know why you are trying to remove components in the first place? This is a OOTB functionality, and can be used for many different reasons. 

Sean December 5, 2022

We have a very large group of projects that are not using it.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events