Initiative "Create an Issue" option

Kevin Kendell November 23, 2021

Is there an option within Atlassian JIRA Cloud that would provide the "Create and Issue" option from within an Initiative, similar to how it is available within Epic issue types, and provide the user the ability to create an Epic issue associated to the Initiative?  Currently the system is treating an Initiative issue type like a Story or Task and will only allow users to create a Subtask from within the initiative.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Answer accepted
Josh Costella
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2021

The easiest way to do this is just create them right in the Advanced Roadmap view and push them down to Jira when you are ready. 

The next option I would suggest would be to create a circular transition with a post-function of the Initiative workflow or create a manually-run automation that can create a linked Epic from within the Initiative.

Kevin Kendell November 23, 2021

Thank you. Those are some great suggestions.

Pavol Harvanka November 24, 2021

If you like the option to use Jira Automation with manual trigger, you may be interested in using a custom field with several pre-defined options which may trigger creation of various types of issues with pre-filled fields.

Only drawback compared to the way tickets are created in epics is the need to refresh the parent jira issue (initiative in your case) before being able to see the linked issues.image.png  

Like # people like this
Sangeeta Gautam November 24, 2021

@Josh Costella Is there a document you can share on this? I was trying to accomplish the same and may have missed a step. On saving to Jira the relationship did not show.

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Josh Costella
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2021

I don't have anything as far as officially documented steps for doing this. There may be a way to reference the parent link key using smart values. We also have Jira Misc Workflow Extensions and that offers an ability to set the Parent link field when using a create issue post-function. FYI, I have not tested the below using JMWE but it seems possible. Again, I would just go with creating them in Advanced Roadmaps over any custom solution. If you don't have AR, then I would look into smart values in automation or a plugin like JMWE. 

Untitled.jpg

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events