Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Gmail

Clare Lawson May 16, 2022

Hi.  My IT department wants us to use Gmail instead of the Atlassian email for our service desk. I have no idea what to do.  I have this error.  Any ideas?  Thanks. image (14).png

4 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Carlos Viscarra May 16, 2022

There are two ways to use email-to-ticket. 

The first is the native Jira email option. 

The second is external email. You’ll need to get a gmail mailbox, not DL, get the credentials, connect it to Jira Service Management using the second option, then might need to add the SMTP server info from gmail. 

What does not DL mean? Thanks!

Allister Scicluna May 17, 2022

Distribution List

Like Anne Saunders likes this
0 votes
Guy Thorsby May 16, 2022

There are numerous ways to approach the use of "Gmail" as an interstitial inbox for your incoming requests. Are you going to be using an individual Google Workspace account, an email alias for an account, or a Google Group email address for this replacement address for @dearmansystems.com service level emails?

yes, so it would be helpdesk@dearmansystems.com.  I just want folks to be able to email that and it all work automagically into what I already have set up and proven out using the out of the box sd@atlassian.  Is that possible?  Is it best to just use the atlassian one? 

Guy Thorsby May 16, 2022

If helpdesk@dearmansystems.com is a google group email, you will need to add your atlassian email address to the group.

If helpdesk@dearmansystems.com is a user within your Google Workspace organization, you will just need to go through the credentialing process for this account within the portal you now want to receive emails into.

You will find a custom email setting for a Google account in your ITSM project settings > Email Requests. Just click the button and follow the prompts if you have access to the account. Keep in mind that advanced protection users cannot connect their account so you will have to remove this account from your org's advanced protection group and manually enroll the account in all necessary security features.

Guy Thorsby May 17, 2022

Not sure what "automagical" looks like at your org but if you send an email to support@fluidnumerics.com, we receive it into a google group and with our support channel's email address linked to the request, an emailed request is created and the support team is added as a response participant so everyone knows when someone on the team takes action.

We have other channels setup a bit differently in order to control who can create requests and how we manage communications.

The mention of email handlers in this page is very important if you are wanting to start connecting your @dearmansystems.com domain addresses to actions in your Atlassian Jira project management systems.

0 votes
Chris Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Thanks. it looks like the error cleared now.  But I am still not getting any email.  

Paul Cooper
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 16, 2022

Check your spam/junk on the gmail server.

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Hi @Clare Lawson 

I did a quick grep as this can be a Thing and I think this page will get you going.

Thanks.  I am guessing my problem now is having to fill all of this out.  I am not the Gmail admin.  Do you think I have to be?  image (15).png

Like Guy Thorsby likes this
Guy Thorsby May 16, 2022

It would make executing the steps involved in getting this setup properly a bit easier. This is especially true if you are not using an account for each of the accounts you would like to setup as handlers for your support request portal.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events