Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA status for tasks which wait for code review

Czarek September 6, 2019

Hi,

I know that the answer to this question (discussion) may depend on what was determined within the team, but maybe you have some general advices. Let's say that developer is working on task (status: IN PROGRESS, assignee: that developer). Then, the developer thinks that he finished the task and he creates merge request / pull request. How do you think, this is the right moment to change task's status to RESOLVED and/or change the assignee (the task is waiting for code review)? Or maybe developer should click stop progress (change status to OPEN) and does/doesn't change the assignee? Do you have any other views? 

Kind regards

Czarek

2 comments

Comment

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2019

Hi @Czarek 

As you said, each person will have an opinion but there are no wrong answers to this.

We have a status (column) In Progress where the work gets done and the ticket is assigned to the developer. When the development work is complete, the ticket is moved to another column (status) In Review and is unassigned. At this point the PR is ready to be reviewed - once approved it is moved to the Testing column.

I personally don't like either of the options you suggest - a ticket shouldn't be Resolved until it has been reviewed and tested, and changing the status to Open just seems wrong.

I hope that this helps you a bit

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2019

Hi @Czarek

I concur with @Warren - if we have Tasks which need to go through various stages - or Stories which go through development and testing prior to release, we have separate statuses these move through to visualise progression.

It depends what you're trying to achieve though - why would you go with either of your options? What is the benefit of having it in a TO DO or DONE status category, as opposed to an IN PROGRESS one.

For our teams, the work remains IN PROGRESS whether it's being worked on or suffering from wastage time. An option for you if you wanted to visualise IN PROGRESS vs TO DO would be to have "Ready for Dev", "Dev", "Ready for Analysis", etc, where the Ready statuses are TO DO category.

I would be careful of creating too many - you don't want a workflow with 50 statuses unless its useful / needed.

Ste

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events