🪄 New automation rule checklist

What if Jira could do all the boring work for you?

Stop creating the same tasks every Monday morning, stop manually updating the parent issue of your subtasks, stop copying comments to linked issues: start using Automation for Jira 🪄

I have created a lot of automation rules in the past few years, and here are the steps I recommend you to follow to create new automations.

Capture d’écran 2021-08-05 à 17.25.28.png

Browse the automation rules library

You don't have to start from scratch: Automation has hundreds of automation rules ready to be used. Explore the automation templates Atlassian gathered, select the right one for you and turn it on!

Define the scope of your rule

Rules can be applied to a single project, multiple projects or globally. Carefully choose the scope of your rule: you may negatively impact Jira performance or end up reaching your monthly execution limit.

Choose your rule actor

Your rule will be run by a special Automation for Jira user by default. Make sure this is OK for you and that users will understand why they suddenly see a new user in the history tab.

Capture d’écran 2021-08-05 à 17.25.33.png

Add "Log action" blocks

Have you ever used Log action? It's a game-changer and makes debugging an automation rule way easier. If your rule doesn't work as expected, just log actions to understand what is happening.

Ensure your rule is triggered as expected

Run several different tests: is your rule triggered when you create a new issue? When you update a field? Is that expected?

Check notifications

When editing, transitioning or assigning issues, I like to add notifications so that users know what is happening and why. Are you automatically closing an issue? Maybe add a comment to let the assignee know it. Are you assigning an issue to someone? Try sending them a Slack notification.

Capture d’écran 2021-08-05 à 17.25.39.png

Add a label to your rule

Almost ready! Before enabling your new rule, I recommend adding a label to it. You may only have 1 or 2 rules today, but in a few weeks you may have lots of them. Your future self will thank you.

Share the news 🎉

Document your rule in Confluence and make sure users are aware a new rule is enabled.

Monitor your rule's usage

Now that your rule is launched, monitor its usage for a few days to ensure it is running as expected. Stay on top of your automation usage!

You're good to go! Download the full checklist here:

automation-checklist.png

6 comments

Alexis Robert August 5, 2021

Great content, thanks for sharing ! 

I have to admit that I always forget to add labels, that a good trick.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Awesome article @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ ! Yes the log action is indeed a game changer and I have used more and more ever since I learned about it. I hadn't thought about the labels much before and I think that's a really great idea thanks for today's learning.

Like # people like this
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Thanks @Alexis Robert and @Jack Brickey! I have to say I didn't use the label feature at first, but when you get hundreds of rules, you need to get things in order 😬

Like Bridget likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 5, 2021

Love this post! Nicely done, @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ :)

Pavol Harvanka August 16, 2021

link to automation templates  is not working for me

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2021

@Pavol Harvanka I realize this is an old comment, but I just found this post today. The correct link to the automation library and playground is https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events