Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

👋 Looking for 15-20 volunteers to test Atlassian training content (Jira Automation)

50 comments

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2022

@Bill Goetz awesome, glad to hear it! Thanks for participating

Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 18, 2022

I've just finished the training, it was very good. I've already got some ideas how I can improve our usage of Automation :) I've left my detailed feedback ^^

Ingo Dean April 18, 2022

Very nice job, clean intro.

It's important to note, though, that Atlassian stores your API Token (Auth Secrets) in clear text when you use the "Send web request" action and anyone who has the ability to use Automations can read them. This means that we can only allow a very limited subset of people to use automations and had to block Project Administrators from doing so.

Bummer!

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2022

@Bill Goetz thank you, so glad to hear it!

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2022

@Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_ awesome! Thanks for taking the time

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2022

@Ingo Dean thank you for your feedback—I really appreciate it!

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

@Ingo Dean you wrote:

It's important to note, though, that Atlassian stores your API Token (Auth Secrets) in clear text when you use the "Send web request" action and anyone who has the ability to use Automations can read them. This means that we can only allow a very limited subset of people to use automations and had to block Project Administrators from doing so.

That's true, but I'm really glad I paid attention to this training, because I saw this:

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 5.10.08 PM.png

So while it's true you need to be more careful about granting access to Automations, at least Atlassian gives you controls to do so very specifically. (For instance, you could create an "Automation Administrators" group for trusted users, which might include some Project Admins.)

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2022

@Darryl Lee , you're star! Thanks for pointing out how to limit certain users to administer Jira automation rules. I found it under: xxx.atlassian.net/jira/settings/automation#/config

JA global config.png

Like # people like this
Kaj Sennelöv April 19, 2022

@Ellen Walter Count me in, starting now! 🚀

vlad_puhach April 19, 2022

Nice, just enrolled! will complete it this week and provide feedback!

Elke Heinrichs April 19, 2022

i´ve finnished the course and enjoyed the little quizzes most. 

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2022

@Ellen Walter  Just finished the course and filled out the survey, it is way more interactive with the different content types than the original one (which I completed as well). Well done!

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2022

@vlad_puhach @Kaj Sennelöv nice! Happy learning

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2022

@Elke Heinrichs @Dave Mathijs so glad to hear that! Thank you for taking the time

Heydi Menéndez April 19, 2022

Can I? Or is it full?

Regards!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2022

@Ellen Walter -

Just completed the assessment.  Overall a great job done by Atlassian University team and you.

Here are my 2-cents that the course needs to look into -

1) It will be excellent to inform the course taker that the course is based on the CLOUD env and not On-prems (Data Center) env. It is to avoid confusion between your customers tiers (CLOUD vs On-Prems).

2) It should have a section or a short list (i.e reference links) to highlight the differences/limitations between Automation for Jira CLOUD vs On-Prems - Example: "Create Variable" is only available for the CLOUD env. Lookup Issues action is only available for the CLOUD env. Rule actor usage current user setup is only available for the CLOUD env etc...

3) Web Request action would expose token in clear text within the rule configuration as mentioned by one other reviewer.  So, it would be great that in those few slides to mention the gotcha for the course takers.

4) The training should mentioned that each rule's actor can be set to specific/selected user and override the default "Automation for Jira" user and provide examples. This is because that the traceability of rule execution associated in actual Jira/JSM issues' audit record is important.

Again, excellent job and I enjoyed it.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
Paul Grant April 20, 2022

Just a point = but I seemed to lose my place in the course when I came back to it. 

Is that supposed to do that ? 

Chris Tetzlaff April 21, 2022

Hi Ellen,  I took the class and in the JSM section encountered an error and I wasn't presented with the survey.  I captured screenshot and the error file. How and where should I send that information? Please advise if and how I could take the survey too, thanks!  @Ellen Walter  

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 25, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin thank you for your detailed feedback!

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 25, 2022

@Paul Grant that's not expected behavior—I'll look into it, thank you for letting me know!

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 25, 2022

@Chris Tetzlaff sorry you ran into an error! The beta course is now closed, but feel free to share any feedback in a comment here. Thanks!

Like Chris Tetzlaff likes this
Chris Tetzlaff April 25, 2022

@Ellen Walter The course was good, I liked the content presentation and ability to retake quizzes.  The content was presented in small amounts, helping enable comprehension. 

Given this is a fee based course, providing more should be considered. 

1. Navigation: Slow the videos' process down. New content for many; not always simple / easy to follow so error on side of caution. Call out clicks, move cursor slowly, and hoover over where about to click. Avoids need to reply videos. 

2. Provide content transcription with primary applicable screenshots. Describe the navigation.  If people attempt to take notes, they will likely miss details such as next navigation, content shown and other potential aspects. 

It was well thought out and organized, overall I'd give it an A-. 

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 25, 2022

@Chris Tetzlaff thank you! I appreciate you taking the time.

Leonie C_ Breitmoser April 27, 2022

Hi there,

I am a bit late to the party, but if you still need volunteers - I'd be happy to assist.

Best,

Leonie

Ellen Walter
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2022

@Leonie C_ Breitmoser this beta is closed, but keep an eye out! The University team hosts betas pretty frequently.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events