cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAFe Program Board - Output of PI Planning

Rafi Ahmad April 28, 2022

Hi Community,

I am hoping to find a way in Jira Align to see

1. ART Program board (similar to what we have as an output from PI planning) that should show me: Features/Capabilities spread across iteration with some key milestones added, dependencies being highlihgted : I believe its Porgram board , it shows me features spread across iteration but doesn't show me if there is any dependency

2. How can I see each scrum team's board that shows me planning they have done for each iteration along with whats their capacity, velocity and load for the iteration?

3. At last, how can I see spread of PI and Team objective across the iteration?

Do I have go to different reports to see all of these separately

Thanks 

4 answers

3 votes
Sam Tsubota
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2022

@Rafi Ahmad  Here are answers to your question. Most of what you are looking for is on the Program Board

1. The Program Board shows features, dependencies, team objectives (PI Objectives) and milestones. Dependencies appear as a cross in a team’s swim lane and milestones appear as a diamond in the top row of the board. Milestones are Objectives with a type of Roadmap Milestone. Dependencies and objectives need to be linked to features to properly display on the Program Board.

2. The Story Backlog Kanban - Sprint view shows each sprint with the stories planned load, average velocity (or it can be manually entered using Override)

3. Program Board on the top row shows Team Objectives. Team objectives need to be a target sprint when it will be completed to display on the Program Board. The Progress By Objective report also shows this.

See the article I wrote about facilitating a team breakout in PI Planning with Jira Align for more info. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Align-articles/Facilitating-a-PI-Planning-Team-Breakout-Virtually-in-Jira-Align/ba-p/1327539

1 vote
Rich Sparks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2022

And here's an article about building out that Program Board during PI Planning.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Align-articles/Building-a-Program-Board-during-PI-Planning/ba-p/1329910

0 votes
Rafi Ahmad May 2, 2022

Thank you all for the suggestion and pointers. 

0 votes
Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

Rafi 

If I am understanding correctly from your post.  

Your ART has completed PI planning and identified Risks and Dependencies but you are not seeing them on the Program board. 

Is that correct? 

If so, here are some things to check. 

Dependencies:

Is the dependency team or program tier?  

Are they associated with the same PI selected for viewing the program board? 

Are they associated with a feature in this PI?  

Is the associated feature showing on the board? 

-- If not - Click the "Orphans" button on the top right of the program board. 

Risks: 

Risks do not appear as separate objects on the board.  They are instead reflected by the related feature or Objective being colored Yellow. 

Is the Risk related to a Feature in this PI?  

Is the associated feature showing on the board? 

- If Yes, is the associated feature showing Orange, Red? 

-- If not - Click the "Orphans" button on the top right of the program board. 

Is the Risk related to an Objective?

- If Yes, is the associated Objective showing Orange, Red or Brown? 

-- If not - navigate to the Objectives page and check the objective associations.

Are they associated with the same PI selected for viewing the program board? 

Red overwrites Orange, which Overwrites Yellow :) 

Hope these tips help. 

Marcie Mierz June 27, 2022

i think i understand what you are referring to in the last part of point 1.

in the free form visual planning boards we used before Jira Align, we used red dependency lines on our program board for 2 purposes.

1. as we do with Jira Align Dependencies for work agreements/commitments
2. and also for dependencies in the sense of, traceability/linkage in the chain of delivery of work items (enablers, other features, etc.) in the business feature. these don't always match 1:1 with objectives.

i can't see the latter "red line" on the JA program board. the list of all features linked under a parent epic is too broad. building out a feature map is more manual/less automated than we'd hoped for. it sounds like there may be other configurations that aren't set in our instance that allows more types of linkage between work items... this may be an option to explore with your JA admin.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events