Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved Jira Issues from Scrum to Kanban project; how to bulk assign Stories to Kanban team in JA?

Vinay Sharma July 1, 2021

We have Jira Align and Jira Integration.

Recently moved Jira Issues from a Scrum project to a new Kanban project in Jira. Accordingly mapped new Kanban project to Jira Align. Created a Kanban team in Jira Align.

We need to assign Jira Kanban Stories to new Kanban team in Jira Align. Is there a way to bulk assign Stories to the new Kanban Team. Pls. suggest.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Philipp Barry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2021
Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2021

To add onto what Philipp shared, from my experience here's what I would recommend:

• Changing Team Assignment: Do this in Jira with a bulk move...much easier to do in Jira than Jira Align (the only way to do this in Jira Align is through mass import).
  • Changing PI on Stories: If stories don't have a Feature/Jira Epic already tied to them you can change the PI. For these, you can use the mass move functionality mentioned in the link from Philipp. The one thing I'll say is there is not an easy way to identify the stories to do the move with in Jira Align...so I typically recommend that you mass apply a label in Jira Align to all issues you wish to change the PI on (to signal which issues need the change), then when using the mass move functionality in Jira Align, search on the tag (e.g. label in Jira) synced over.
    Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 3.30.22 PM.png
Like Philipp Barry likes this
Vinay Sharma July 1, 2021

Thanks! @Philipp Barry @Mark Cruth 

In order to make new team assignment for new Kanban Stories, I searched the Stories using Jira project key & then selected few Stories. I was able to see "Mass Edit" under "More Actions", but when tried changing Team via "Select a Team to Assign", then "Update", it did not work. A message popped up showing 0 updates done out of 10.

For a Jira Scrum project, Jira Align uses Scrum Board ID for assignation of team in JA. But how does it happen for a Kanban Team; pls. suggest.

Is it done only by way of assigned team members who belong to the Kanban team in Jira Align?

Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
July 2, 2021

@Vinay Sharma - this is why I recommend story team assignment changes (in mass) be done in Jira...Jira Align can be finicky here using the Mass Move functionality.

You are correct that sprints will help associate work with teams, but work not associated with a sprint (Scrum Team backlogs and Kanban Teams) are done one of two ways. If you have a 1 Project - 1 Jira Board setup, this association will happen automatically. If you have a 1 Project - Multiple Jira Boards setup (everyone uses the same project but use a different filters to create their boards), then you need to configure a team field in Jira and map it in Jira Align. Check out this article to learn how to setup the team field syncing in Jira Align: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Align-articles/Syncing-the-Team-Field-Between-Jira-Software-and-Jira-Align/ba-p/1253507

Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

@Vinay Sharma , 

Did you run a project/board specific JQL from Jira Align after adding the new board?  If so, this JQL should have assigned the stories.  Similar to the suggestion that @[deleted] made for doing the changes in Jira, however the use of the JQL *from within* Jira Align makes this task more simple (at least to my way of working)  :) 

Hope this helps.

P.S. Ideally to force the mass update - your JQL statement should include a created or updated date range when you write it in JA. 

Vinay Sharma July 4, 2021

Thanks! @Mark Cruth @Philipp Barry @Tina Behers 

For a Kanban Jira project, do I need to add board in Jira Align via Jira Management->Jira Board; pls. confirm.

Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2021

Yes you need a board in Jira and that board needs to be integrated for the work states to flow for the kanban metrics and work to roll up correctly in Jira Align 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events