Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira / Jira Align Program --> Team Misalignment

Shawna Schorsch December 14, 2022

Problem: Adjusted the program associated for a team in question. Previously imported Epic remains associated with the first program and is now "locked" in JIRA Align. As such, I can't assigned a quarter as the programs are mismatched.

Is there anyway to manually change the associated Program manually? or do I need to recreate the Epic in JIRA?

4 answers

4 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shawna Schorsch December 15, 2022

Thanks all! I never made any changes in JIRA -- just needed to move the team to a different JIRA Align program. Seems the stories were already locked with the original program the team was assigned to. I don't want to change JIRA projects -- more so just realign them under a different program (consolidating for simplification) within Align specifically.

Samit Mehta _321 Gang_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

@Shawna Schorsch that helps clarify what you were attempting to do.  I believe that you are essentially seeing symptoms of "historical data" (stories that were worked under the original program) showing up as "phantom/ghost" data as described very nicely in the following discussion thread:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Align-questions/What-are-the-implications-of-moving-a-team-from-1-train-to/qaq-p/1339252

To avoid what you were seeing, you may want to consider the second option as described by Peter Jessen in his response in the above discussion thread.  The second option will "cleanly" move the team to another Program and leave the historical data intact in the original Program.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Samit Mehta _321 Gang_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

As Heidi mentions in her response, you would resolve this in Jira and it will get updated automatically in Jira Align.  So, you probably have a Jira Project that is associated with the first Program (in Jira Align) and another Jira Project that is associated with the second Program.  You would use the Jira "Move" operation to move the Epic in Jira from one Jira Project to another:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/move-an-issue/

0 votes
Answer accepted
Heidi Hendry
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2022

Hi Shawna,

> Adjusted the program associated for a team in question

Was this done in Jira Align or in Jira Software?

We advise that you make changes of that kind in Jira Software and the Jira Connector can generally resolve the issue in Jira Align.

If you are still having problems, we recommend raising a Support ticket as every instance has a different configuration, and we like to try to give the right advice for your setup.

Share screenshots/video of the Epic in Jira and Jira Align, as well as your Administration > Jira Connector > Jira Setup. We may also need JA Audit Logs and Jira Software History for the Epic.

Hi Heidi!

1. Issue is occurring in JIRA Align (Team is assigned to Program X -- I'm trying to move to Program Y and am unable to update the quarter assignment post move)

I'm not sure I understand how the JIRA software would be impacted? The JIRA project / board is remaining the same - just consolidating in Jira Align to simplify. I thought you could adjust the team --> program association at any time w/o making changes in Jira Software.

Thanks!

Shawna

Heidi Hendry
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2022

Hi Shawna, 

Please can you log a Support ticket, so that we can help you out with this issue.

support.atlassian.com

Shawna Schorsch January 3, 2023

Hi Heidi!

Will do, thanks again!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Connie Crabbe
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2022

I've encountered this before and this was the advice from Atlassian to resolve. 

To resolve this problem, you will need to change the Align stories back to the old Program. Once you do this, the next sync with Jira should automatically update the Jira Align stories with the correct Program and Jira Project values.

Cheers,

Connie

Thank you, Connie! The program is locked in my instance and won't let me manually change. Once I moved the team back under it's original program, it works but am now struggling with switching programs in Align to consolidate the number of programs in my portfolio.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events