Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View the same data in grid pages with column defaults

What’s changing?

In Jira Align, when you navigate to a grid page, the default columns are fixed and can't be changed.

We are excited to announce that this is changing with the launch of a new set of API endpoints that will allow your organization to choose default grid columns across themes, epics, capabilities, and features. This will give your team the flexibility to define essential fields most relevant to your organization and share a common language across all your users.

These API endpoints will be released today with the 11.2.0 release. Please note that this feature is optional and will only affect column defaults if you make changes via the API endpoints. If you don’t take any action, you will continue using the current default column settings.

What does this mean for me?

As an example, if ‘T-shirt’ sizing is a key attribute across all users and workflows and you’ve set this field as a default column, all users will always see this column when they choose to use the default view, making it easy for all to have the same conversation.

1. With defaults, users can get on the same page: By setting defaults, you can ensure key fields are seen by users when they select ‘Restore Defaults’ from the Columns Shown menu.
    Columns_Shown_Restore_Defaults.png

2. Align on common language and process: Making a field a default column elevates its importance. This encourages the entire org to focus on the top attributes when discussing and planning work. It also serves as a reminder to fill out important fields when creating or editing items.
  3. You can keep your own personal view: Column customization is still available when you need to focus on fields specific to your role or team. When you want to display a more common view in meetings or review sessions, you can use the Restore Defaults button to revert to your org’s defaults.

Get started

The new API endpoints are available to all customers, regardless of deployment and license tier. API permissions for the endpoints are restricted to users with the Super Admin role.

Complete documentation on the default column config API is available in the swagger docs on your Jira Align site (i.e., https://<site-url>/rest/align/api/docs/index.html). Review the following endpoints in the swagger docs:

• Feature: /align/api/2/GridConfigurations/feature/ColumnConfigurations

• Capability: /align/api/2/GridConfigurations/capability/ColumnConfigurations

• Epic: /align/api/2/GridConfigurations/epic/ColumnConfigurations

• Theme: /align/api/2/GridConfigurations/theme/ColumnConfigurations

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 4.05.52 PM.png

See below for additional resources to help you get started:

FAQ

Q: Which default grid pages can I change with this API?

A: Grid page column defaults are set across the entire Jira Align environment. You can set different defaults for each work item type: themes, epics, features, and capabilities.

Q: How will this impact me when I share a grid view with another user?

A: It will not have an impact on grid views that you share. If you share a grid view with default columns, the user will not automatically see the same default columns. They will see columns they have chosen for their own grid view, and have to select ‘Restore defaults’ to see the same.

4 comments

Colton_Kosicek August 29, 2024

Hi @Denise Garcia  - so we need to update the Jira align swagger content for the PUT API calls?

Julie Rios
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 29, 2024

Setting defaults is a great start...is there anything in the backlog/roadmap to allow Admins to also HIDE certain columns/fields as options in the gird, if those fields were also hidden in the Details Panel Settings? If there is also an existing suggestion ticket for this, please let me know! Thank you!

Denise Garcia
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2024

Hi @Colton_Kosicek, if I understand your question correctly, the content for the new GridConfigurations API (and its GET, PUT, and PATCH methods) is available in the swagger docs as of version 11.2.0. They can be reached at your Jira Align site, for example: https://<site-url>/rest/align/api/docs/index.html

Denise Garcia
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2024

Hi @Julie Rios, great question! I can see the value in that, and I believe this suggestion ticket covers your use case: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAALIGN-6362. Further updates on progress will be tracked there. Thanks!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events