Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value Engineering with Jira Align

Are you familiar with Value Engineering? It is a relatively new technique that allows an enterprise to rapidly discard ideas that do not deliver value. This practice is new to many, and yet it is a truly Lean way of maximizing an organization's portfolios, products, and investments.

There are three basic steps/principles in Value Engineering:

1 – Hypothesize: Quantify what value is; examine whether a product delivers value that customers want to use

2 – Bet: Tests your hypothesis with experiments; track expenses, research methods, and analyst confidence

3 – Pivot or Persevere: Learn what’s providing value and what’s not to determine if investments should continue; track estimates against the actual spend

Value Engineering starts with building a customer-centric hypothesis that includes a definition of Minimum Viable Product (MVP). Next, by utilizing rapid feedback loops based on small, focused experiments, it enables a virtuous cycle of innovation in which "Run"​ activities enable growth. "Growth"​ activities fund innovation and the "Transform"​ actives are then operationalized to drive new "Run"​ activities. Ideas that are low value and low return are not pursued, and spending is placed in areas of high value and return. With Value Engineering, an enterprise can make incremental investments in small experiments to test product ideas. Instead of funding massive projects and spending money on ideas that may or may not work, companies can reduce spending on ideas that don’t work and increase spending on ideas that are easy to back and drive clear value.

Ready to try Value Engineering in Jira Align?

Click here to learn more about Jira Align's Value Engineering module from our Help Center.

Be sure to let us know your thoughts and experiences with Value Engineering in the comments below.

3 comments

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2020

@Shawn Kessler Thank you for writing this article!  It helped me learn something new today!

Like # people like this
Wendy Williams February 23, 2022

@Shawn Kessler Where is the JA value engineering white paper?  It's not at the link provided.  Thanks!

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2022

@Wendy Williams my apologies, it looks like the white paper has been removed--perhaps it was out of date, as I wrote the original article over 2 years ago. I have removed the link from the article. Your best bet is to read more about Value Engineering in the Jira Align Help Center.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events