Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Key OKR views you can use

It was nice to see SAFe acknowledge the broader use of OKR's beyond Theme level with the recent 6.0 framework release.  As interest continues to grow toward measuring the Outcomes ("did I build the right thing?"" to complement the longtime work execution focus ("did I build it right?"), sometimes clients are unclear on what views can be leveraged in Jira Align.  I'd like to share a few of the more helpful ones that I've found with clients. 

1. Although more traditional, the Objectives Grid (spreadsheet-like) view can be a helpful starting point to sift through what can become an expansive list of Objectives.  Consider created Saved Filters to access certain sliced views of interest.  

Portfolio objective grid.png

2. The legacy Objective Tree list view can be a "money shot" view to link Objectives with Key Results & Score immediately visible in the hierarchy.  Key Results that flag orange or red based on progress achieved to date can be easily seen.

okr tree legacy.png

3. The new Goals Tree view adds nice flexibility with columns that can be selected.  The recent addition of multi-level work item progress columns can help show progress being made on the work as a predicative indicator that ultimately feeds the more lagging indicator key results.

okr tree new.png

4. Sometimes stakeholder understanding of the richer views in Jira Align can be a challenge.  The Roadmap offers a middle ground sometimes as most folks like timeline bars to see progress.  The "Group By" function selecting Objectives allows a nice visual of OKR in the far left column beside the actual work object(s) on the right that are contributing toward ultimately getting those outcomes.  

roadmap group by obj.png

5. Finally, for clients at the stage where regularly tracking Key Results is important, the Backlog view has an option to select Objectives and rank.  By adding columns and expanding to show Key Results, the detailed progress measures can be managed.  Also, you can quickly add new key results in mass if needed.

okr backlog 2.png

Whatever "favorites" your organization does settle on for OKR's, consider creating a Framework Map page for users to assist locating key views.  Here is an example image for the 5 we covered which can be easily uploaded and edited with hot links to the pages.

value menu - okr framework map.jpg

What OKR related views have you found helpful? 

1 comment

Theo-Marien van Rossum
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2023

Great article! Thanks. How did you create this fancy Framework map?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events