Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install: How to update SSL certificate?

Brad Beaver May 2, 2018

I have successfully deployed a new HipChat Data Center server.  This will be used on our internal network only.  I did not set up a reverse proxy.

Everything works just fine.  But I want to add our own internal SSL cert.

The only documentation I have found is the following:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/hipchat-server-ssl-installation-and-troubleshooting-guide-759990020.html

This article doesn't actually explain how to update the SSL cert.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/hc/creating-or-obtaining-an-ssl-key-and-certificate-608731891.html

This article is for HipChat Sever 2.2.  From what I can tell, HipChat Server no longer exists and is now Data Center.  I am running 3.1.4.

My fear is that since I did not set up a reverse proxy and the SSL cert is supposed to live there.

So I guess I'm asking if it is possible to replace the SSL cert on the actual HipChat Data Center server?

Thanks for your time!

-Brad

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2018

Hi, Brad.

Unlike HipChat Server, HipChat Data Center requires you to have a proxy / load balancer which terminates the SSL connection. This will be where the SSL certificate is configured. Details are explained in the following official documentation:

You will notice that the hipchat certificates command is absent in HipChat Data Center, which means that the node itself does not have a SSL certificate on it:

admin@hipchat:~$ hipchat
Atlassian HipChat 3.1.4 (2018.03.05.095355)
The "hipchat" command requires a namespace argument.

Please run one of the following commands:

hipchat datacenter
hipchat diagnostics
hipchat export
hipchat import
hipchat license
hipchat log
hipchat profile
hipchat service
hipchat stats
hipchat video

Can you confirm if you are planning to deploy a single node or a 3 node cluster Data Center on your end? This might give you some idea on how to configure a basic Apache proxy for your deployment:

Brad Beaver May 3, 2018

Thanks for the great info.

We are planning to deploy a single node.  But I could not find where to download HipChat Server.  I just did the `Try for free` and chose the OVA option and Data Center is what I got apparently.  I just assumed HipChat Server was antiquated.  Am I wrong?

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2018

Hi, Brad.

You are welcome. There is a difference between HipChat Server and HipChat Data Center. I have explained it here - What is the difference between Hipchat server vs Hipchat Data Center ?. While I won't say it was antiquated, it will continue to be supported until mid year 2020.

HipChat Server is still available if you prefer it. Feel free to download it here:

You can then follow the steps mentioned in the Deploying Hipchat Server and let me know if you run into any problems (should you decide to try it out).

Brad Beaver May 4, 2018

Thanks again!  HipChat Server is definitely what I need for my small team of 5.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
May 6, 2018

Any time, Brad. You are most welcome!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events