Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Hipchat behind an Apache reverse proxy

Jonathan Michaels
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 17, 2018

Hello,

We have a Windows server on which we are going to install Apache as a reverse proxy, which will sit in front of and serve Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket and HipChat Data Center (small scale set up).

I found this regarding using Apache as a reverse proxy for HipChat, which details how to use Apache on a Linux box as a reverse proxy for HipChat:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/how-to-configure-a-basic-apache-reverse-proxy-for-hipchat-data-center-941620974.html

My question is: Will I be able to use Apache on Windows as a reverse proxy for HipChat? Surely I will? Should I just copy over the virtual host block from that article?

And I'll be able to use just the same Apache reverse proxy for all the applications i.e. I can have just the single instance of Apache on our Windows server, serving all the applications (Jira, Confluence, HipChat etc)?

Just wanted to check these things, any help appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2018

Hi, Jonathan.

You should be able to utilize Apache on Windows as a reverse proxy since the article only serves as a guideline to set up one as mentioned:

This article provides an example configuration to help you set up your Hipchat Data Center deployment, however third-party software might require extra configuration work to function in your environment. Atlassian provides best-effort to assist you with your deployment, but does not directly support these components.

Looking at the sample configuration in How to configure a basic Apache reverse proxy for Hipchat Data Center, there are certain lines in the block that is specific to Linux path. For example:

• CustomLog /var/log/apache2/hipchat.log combined
  • SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/ca.crt
  • SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/ca.key

So, you just need to change it to fit Windows path configuration and it should work.

Yes, it is possible for you to use a single instance of Apache in your server to cater for all applications. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events