Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Anyone have confusing or funny government buzzwords?

carolyn french Community Leader Jun 21, 2021

@Jamey Austin needs to pick our brains 🧠 in his discussion about What corpspeak bothers you the most?

To get the juices flowing, I found this Corporate Buzzword Battle in the Atlantic.

What are ones you've heard in your office, and what should be some alternatives?

Corporate Buzzword battle.png

3 comments

How did "Thought Leader" not make the bracket?

Like # people like this
carolyn french Community Leader Jun 22, 2021

😂 That's a great one- how did it not make it... Can you use it in a sentence that you've heard before? And then do an interpretation on what it really means?

Like Marjorie likes this
carolyn french Community Leader Jun 22, 2021

@Lisa Malden (She/Her) What a funny list! I actually appreciate Teamwork makes the dream work because of the rhyming and the way it can lighten the mood.

Any of these ones popular in your office? And what would you have them say instead to convey the real meaning?

Hi Carolyn - sorry for the late reply... Got a promotion and have been in TONS of trainings...

Teamwork Makes the Dreamwork IS a good one - pretty common though. I don't have a saying that I can think of at the moment however I do see our agency and others using the word "Folx" in place of people, group, etc. Seems like a pretty neutral word to use nowadays.

Cheers!

These are great!

Government language?  Oh, I can do that.  I don't want to, but I have a parent and an uncle who were civil servants for a long time, and I've worked with several government organisations. 

I don't just understand "Yes (Prime) Minister", I get all the jokes in it.  All of them.  Even the ones in Latin.

Corporate/business cliches - yep, they're fantastic at telling me that someone doesn't know what they are doing, so there's something real to talk about.

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you