Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fatal: error when closing sha1 file: Permission denied

Andreas Grzybowski May 9, 2014

I am attempting to create a local git repository using a mounted linux drive (it's a Raspberry Pi, Depian WHeezy) --> (via SSH port 5522 via ExpandDrive) from my mac using SourceTree (newest version), however when I attempt to make a commit in SourceTree to GitHub I continually receive this error:

fatal: error when closing sha1 file: Permission denied

I am not exactly sure how to fix this.

Localy on SSH login to my Raspberry all Git commands work fine. push commit clone and so on ...

Another Raspberry Pi in my local network has only FTP without any SSH logins. There SourceTree works very very well.

Any idea? Hope someone can help.

Thanks Andy

3 answers

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2014

Hey Andreas,

That error in specific has many-an-answer on the interwebs - first thing that pulled up on Google: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/685319/git-pull-error-unable-to-create-temporary-sha1-filename

Seems like the contents of your repository might not have the correct file permissions for Git to work with it.

Cheers

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2014

You have some very confusing usage of the word "local".

So, first of all, you are trying to simulate a local git repository by mounting remote storage on your local machine (the one running sourcetree).

Secondly, SourceTree throws an error message when you commit.

Thirdly, you are able to commit successfully "Localy on SSH login". I am assuming this means you SSH to the Raspberry machine (which is not local), and run git commands on it (so "local" is now relative to the Raspberry) with no errors.

Have you tried running command line git commands on your local machine (the one with SourceTree)?

0 votes
Andreas Grzybowski May 13, 2014

nobody any idea ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events