What is git thinking?

I don't understand what git is thinking sometimes. In SourceTree, I pulled the latest code from the repository with rebase selected, it told me it couldn't apply a patch, and to resolve the issue manual and then continue the rebase from a git shell.

So I proceeded to do that. One thing I noticed was that git deleted one of my files!!! <-- What on Earth is git thinking? Why would it ever think of deleting a file in response to rebase issues? No one on the team deleted it. There was absolute nothing wrong with the file, and when I undid the deletion, and finished the rebase, the file worked just fine.

1 answer

0 vote

Hi

Its difficult to comment without understanding more of the context, is it possible the file was deleted by one commit but restored by another and hence if appeared to have dissappeared because the rebase paused part way through?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Keough
Published 2 hours ago in Training & Certification

Project Administration in Jira Server is here!

The Atlassian Certification you've been waiting for is here for good. We're thrilled to announce the official launch of our new Certification for Project Administration in Jira Server! The offering...

38 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you