Sourcetree push/pull/network issues with remote repository

Jason Ried April 1, 2013

Hi,

We have a GIT repository setup on an internal mac server and then each mac uses sourcetree to view the projects/repositories. One of our team is based in the UK, while we're in South Africa, and he randomly has problems committing or pulling from the repository. At times he will pull and nothing happens, plus when he tries to commit he often gets issues. He connects onto our network via a VPN client, and this might be faulty but we've upgraded this and the security layers on our network.

The interesting thing is when I'm travelling or at home I randomly get these issues. At times it will work and then suddenly I simply can't pull. For instance I'm at home now and I can see no updates in Sourcetree. Pulling does nothing, it shows the status bar but this never stops pulling, never actually getting anything but never stopping. These issues occur on line speeds varying from 2MB to 12MB and vary from location to location.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas to solve this? Are there minimum latency settings or any network settings we should check? Any advice on this would be really helpful.

thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Ried April 4, 2013

Thanks for the update Kieran.

We think we might have solved this as it's now working as expected. We updated our firewall software as well as a couple of other network items and then moved over from using named servers to the IP's. This seems to have made the connection far more stable and is working. For now I'm still keeping an eye on it, but it's positive.

Thanks as always for the advice.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

Excellent :) Could you mark your own answer as correct if you find the time? It's just so we can help manage which issues have been resolved and which need our time. Many thanks in advance!

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2013

Hi Jason,

I may be way off the mark, but if you're going over VPS then you'll be using some kind of network share (or in fact, it *is* a network share?). If this is the case, I can direct you to the following issues:

1. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/139650/adding-a-git-working-copy-located-on-sshfs-volume
  2. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/17026/source-tree-corrupts-git-index-file-on-smb-share

In short, a network file share typically causes corruptions. These usually happen at random, for example, a client can see that there's changes to pull, but then can't pull them, or a client may not even be able to see the index so never sees any changes.

We've had quite a few queries about this area but we don't control the network layer - that's an OS-level function, we just utilise whatever protocol/path there is and the OS will do the rest. I guess you could compare it to UDP which would be happy to drop packets along the way (which really isn't good for you).

Let me know if this applies to you or not, but if so, the hard answer is that you would have to find another solution to sharing the repository with your colleague.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events