Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree over ssh for local repository?

J L February 6, 2014

Hi,

I have a set-up where I have a remote git server, a local git/development machine running Linux, and a Windows development machine.

I generally use putty from windows to log into my local linux development machine, which is where my local git repository resides, as well as where I do my compiling, etc.

I'd like to use SourceTree on my windows development machine to manage this git repo.

It it possible to add a working tree via SSH, so that I can use windows to manage my local git repository on my linux dev machine? I don't want to have a repo on both my windows and linux dev machines, and I don't want to go through a two-stage push process.

My other option I suppose is to add my linux machine as a network drive under windows and connect that way, but it's awfully slow.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Paolo Furini February 7, 2014

I think it's not a supported setup. A local repo should be local in Git philosophy..

Maybe you can try one of those virtual drives that expose SSH, S3, FTP etc connections as local win drives. But you're entering in a "red" zone... if you have some network delay, or reconnection, you may end up with a corrupted repo, as git thinks it's working on a reliable disk device.

My personal advice is to clone your repo the standard way, and stay on the safe side...

J L February 7, 2014

Yeah, I suppose. Mind you, I'm essentially doing the same thing when I use git over ssh. What would be best is if all the processing could be done on the linux end, and SourceTree just managed it's control over ssh.

Cloning it again on the windows side isn't really a solution though, as I'd have to make changes on windows, push to my linux (to compile, etc), and then push to remote. And that's if it works, otherwise I'd have to redo on windows, push to linux, rebase, and then psuh to remote.

Paolo Furini February 7, 2014

I see.. I'm afraid that ST can't simply route git commands over SSH to a remote server, and I don't know another gui client that is capable to do this.

Maybe you can dive into the dark side of hooks.. ;) a simple start: http://ryanflorence.com/deploying-websites-with-a-tiny-git-hook/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events