It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Sourcetree does not ignore special files (eg. file[a].txt) properly in .gitignore

I'm a new user of Git and my project has many files like "file[a].txt" that I want to ignore.  Via the Sourcetree GUI I would ignore various files but then I would still see some seemingly-just-ignored files still as untracked in the GUI.

This really confused me, but luckily I tried another GUI (SmartGit) and managed to ignore these special files via their GUI.

Manually inspected the .gitignore file, I see that Sourcetree did not properly escape these special files properly, which is why they were showing up as untracked.  Sourcetree- vs SmartGit-created .gitignore look like this (in DIFF style):

-subfolder/file[a].txt
+subfolder/file\[a\].txt

Notice the incorrect escaping of the square brackets. I assume this is a bug in Sourcetree that needs fixing?

PS. I'm using Sourcetree 2.6.10.0 on Win10 x64.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey Atlassian Team Sep 20, 2018

Hi

Yes it looks like a bug, thanks for reporting.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Off-topic

Do you still play the same games you played when you were a kid?

Months ago, I was walking in a huge grocery store and I went to the toys aisle and found a jigsaw puzzle that was more than 50% off, and I thought "why not? It will be fun and it can be a beautiful f...

316 views 35 12
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you