SourceTree doesn't find ssh for git pull/push

Bernhard Böhmer August 30, 2013

Hi,

I'm running SourceTree and Git on MacOSX Lion and I was very happy with its functionality. The CLI Git is working fine with my remote repository.

Concerning SourceTree, it worked fine until I rebooted my Mac. After this, it returns the error:

error: cannot run ssh: No such file or directory
fatal: unable to fork

Is SourceTree expecting ssh at a certain location or using an environment variable to define the path? My ssh is located at /usr/bin/ssh. I couldn' find any configuration parameter in this direction

Thanks for any help Bernhard

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bernhard Böhmer September 9, 2013

I solved it: it seems to be a rights issue. When I started ST explicitly via open -a SourceTree the issue vanished. Obviously, the App in the doc had other rights which led to the failure.

Vern Tee July 4, 2014

Hi Bernhard,

I have the same issue as you do. Did you end up changing anything so you could open and run ST properly simply by clicking the Application icon? (As opposed to using the open command in terminal?)

Vern

Bernhard Böhmer July 4, 2014

Hi Vern, no the workaround is still in use. It's kind of OK since I'm not starting so often my Mac. The new version of SourceTree (1.9.4.1) doesn't fix this issue. I think to fix this one has to understand the exact mechanics of the doc which I didn't follow up.

Regards Bernhard

Vern Tee July 6, 2014

Oh right. No problems. Thanks for replying though.

Cheers,

Vern

Daniel Wilson August 18, 2014

Bernhard,

using open -a fixed the problem for me too, but no idea what the cause is.

thanks,

Dan

0 votes
Nick Karavakis February 2, 2015

I found a permanent solution for me: adding GIT_SSH environment variable pointing to /usr/bin/ssh in my bash_profile and launchd conf lets me start sourcetree from my dock without that error.

0 votes
Bernhard Böhmer September 9, 2013

I solved it: it seems to be a rights issue. When I started ST explicitly via open -a SourceTree the issue vanished. Obviously, the App in the doc had other rights which led to the failure.

0 votes
HarryH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013

There are two ways to configure ssh in sourcetree, please refer to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17790375/sourcetree-on-windows-how-to-connect-to-ssh

0 votes
HarryH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013
Bernhard Böhmer September 2, 2013

Hi Harry, thanks for your answer. The problem, however, is not the authentication but the fact that the ssh binary is not found. BTW: The authentication tab in you links does not exist in the MacOSX version, surprisingly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events