Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree CLI public key problem

Mogli Q July 19, 2014

Hello,

I set up Bitbucket and am using SourceTree to communicate

with my repository. I use SSH, and everything works fine

with the SourceTree graphical interface: i am able to

clone repositories, make commits and push/pull requests.

But when I open the CLI integrated in SourceTree (MINGW32),

then i am not able to clone repositories or make push commands.

When i attempt to do this, i get the following from the cLI:

Permission denied (publickey).

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights

and the repository exists.

I get this error messages when doing the following command:

git clone <repository>

git push (after successfull commit)

The following commands to work in the CLI:

git status

git log

git branch --all

git commit

git add --all

I am using a WIN7 machine.

Please help!

6 answers

1 vote
David Kassa September 11, 2014

To do this I ended up exporting my .ppk to and OpenSSH compatible public/private key under dkassa\.ssh and following this advice to add a .bashrc. It's not as integrated as I was hoping for but it works.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5727555/remember-password-git-bash-under-windows

1 vote
Cody Frazer September 10, 2014

Have you resolved this? I had a similar issue and it was because I was using the https URL for access. I just had to change it to the ssh version and it worked just fine.

Run this:

git remote -v

If origin shows an address starting with `https://yourhost`, change it to the ssh version:

git remote set-url origin git@yourhost.com:yourproject.git
0 votes
Mogli Q July 23, 2014

I tried both System Git and Embedded Git but still get the same problem. I have System Git Version 1.9.4 and Embedded Git Version 1.8.3.

Maybe this info helps: When I installed SourceTree, i used the key generator within Sourcetree and generated the public and private key for my first Bitbucket account. I saved public and private key on my C: drive in FolderA. Then I copied the public key on the Webbrowser into my first Bitbucket Account. I did the same with the second public and private key. So in SourceTree, i log in with my first account to access the repos of my first Bitbucket account and that works fine. For access to the second account, i use the second username and password in Sourcetree and then go to Tools -> Options and choose the folder where my second private key is stored (on folder B on my C: drive). That second way works fine as well in Sourcetree, i can clone repos etc.

But once i open the command line tool, then i am not able to clone repos.

I saw that there is a .ssh folder as well on my C: drive which contains the 3 file github_rsa, github_rsa.pub and know_hosts. I wonder what that has to do with Sourcetree and the command line tool.

Please help!!!

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2014

Check "Tools" > "Options", and choose the "Git" tab and look in "Git Version".

"Embedded" is a copy of Git that is packaged with SourceTree. "System" is an external install of Git. It matters because it can effect how the CLI Git runs and how it and SourceTree share data.

0 votes
Mogli Q July 21, 2014

I dont know what you mean by embedded or system git. I have a laptop with intel processor running Win7. I downloaded Sourcetree from the website and installed it.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2014

Embedded or system git?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events