Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving existing GIT repos to Stash

Kandarp Desai February 5, 2014

Hi,

We have been using GIT with gitolite(for authentication). We recently bought stash licenses and would like to use it. What are our best options.

I tried to setup our exisiting repos in Stash. But, I coudn't find option where I can add my current repositories to Stash. I also would like to transfer gitolite to Stash authentication and management.

can you please help me soon ?

Cheers,

Kandarp

5 answers

0 votes
Kandarp Desai February 6, 2014

Thanks Charles.

1) we have central GIT server which is managed by gitolite module. All users push the changes to that central server. We have created repos in Fisheye, So, users can browse the change set easily and create code reviews using crucile add on. So, Fisheye is just another consumer of that central repository hosted on different server. Hope, that clears the confusion.

"Stash needs to be central host". That's good validation. I read that and wanted to confirm. Yes, I understand that it has different functionality. Yesterday was the first time I used Stash after watching some videos and docs. Not sure if I am looking and reading at right set of documents.

2) Honestly. I can do that migration manually for each user. My point is, how do I switch my central host from Server A to Stash with all versioning etc preserved. Also After migration to stash as central host, will I have access to all the versioning info.

Does this clear your understanding of our setup ?

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

Hi Kandarp,

Cool. Good to hear we're on the same page.

So, when you say "versioning" do you mean the Git history? In which case that's the easy part and where Git is awesome. You just need to create repositories in Stash, and then 'push' from the canonical repositories (did you want more details?). You could even keep Server A (in _read only_ mode) for builds and users that haven't switched their Git URLs to point to Stash, and setup a cron job to fetch from Stash. But the important thing is that you can only modify/push to Git in one place, which is Stashin this case, otherwise things get very complicated.

Does that make sense?

Charles

0 votes
Kandarp Desai February 6, 2014

Hi Charles,

Thanks for quick answer. We would to use stash in following way

1) short term, replace our fisheye/crucible with stash. Now, I believe, I can do this without any issue. Right ? I can clone repositories into one project as admin and other users can start using it just like fisheye/crucible. Right ?

2) Long term, I want to replace my server A which is GIT and Gitolite server which stash for code management and administration for all the users. This is not possible at this point. Or I should say, no easy migration path, right ?

Cheers,

Kandarp

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

Hi Kandarp,

1. Yes and no. I'm curious how you're using Gitolite and Fisheye at the moment. Where do you users push to? Stash needs to be the central host, and if you push to gitolite then how does Stash get the changes? Sorry if I'm confused by this point.

The other thing to mention is that Stash has a different set of functionality than Fisheye/Crucible, are you aware of the differences?

2. It's definitely possible to use Stash for the code management, but unfortunately we don't have a one-click migration path from gitolite yet.

Charles

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

Hi Kandarp,

I'm afraid we don't have anything that you can use at the moment. It would be possible to write a simple script that parses the gitolite file and uses our REST api to create users in Stash, imports the repositories and sets the relevant branch permissions.

You might also be interested in voting for the following:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-2590

Let me know if you have any specific questions, but other than that I'm sorry we don't have anything more concrete for you to use.

Charles

0 votes
AafrinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

Hi Kandarp,

Please refer to this documentation on moving your exisiting code / project into stash.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events