How do I determine which versions of Git are supported by any given SourceTree version?

ryanewtaylor July 13, 2014

I think the title sums it up well. How do I determine which versions of Git are supported by any given SourceTree version?

I use Git + SourceTree daily. Love it! But, Git and SourceTree evolve at different rates. I would like to know when I can and when I cannot upgrade my Git client independent of SourceTree. Is there a compatibility matrix published somewhere?

Thanks,

Ryan

1 answer

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2014

Most of the time, there are no breaking changes from one Git version to the next, so SourceTree just keeps on working with the latest Git version available for your OS.

On the other hand, it never uses the full set of functionality of Git, so in that sense it keeps lagging quite far behind.

Point is: as far as I know, SourceTree always works with whatever Git version you have installed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events