Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git is failing to Stage, or commit with SourceTree in a Windows network environment

vr_driver February 26, 2014

Hello, I'm using Atlassian SourceTree to look after some git repositories, however when I create a new one and try to add new files for the first time (not sure if it's essential info for getting help), but this is the error message I get when I try to commit a file:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false add -f -- app/file.txt
error: unable to create temporary file: File exists
error: app/file.txt: failed to insert into database
error: unable to index file app/file.txt

fatal: adding files failed

Completed with errors, see above.

It's a little annoying, because it's not storing anything.

I'm doing this at work under a Novell/Windows environment, so it could be a permission error, but I figured if I'm browsing the network and logged in as me, surely the SourceTree internal git program would store and look at the network as to who it's logged in as.

It works great if I'm using a source directory locally, but it doesn't work on a shared path.

Are there any git/SourceTree boffins out there experienced this problem?

1 answer

0 votes
vr_driver February 26, 2014

Looks like it can't be done. So instead I'm working on a local git repository, and copying the entire path. Not the best method. But it'll at least let others still see the files (who don't have git access)

Adrian Moerchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2014

What do you mean with "shared path", a network drive? Also "git init" seems to have worked prior, so the rest should work as well.

As SourceTree just calls an embedded cmd git you may try this out directly on the cmd or just try to use TortoiseGit.

There is also a similar questions. To make it short: try to configure SourceTree to use the "normal" downloaded git instead the embedded one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events