Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning Submodules

Kyle G July 31, 2013

My company is switching to Git for our newest source control software, and we are running into a few problems with it. We have a central Git repository with its own IP address, and users that can connect to this central repository to push and pull from.

When working with submodules, we are running into a big issue. If I push from my local repository to the central repository, nobody else can clone that material unless they use my username and password. We are using Git Bash for command line and SourceTree for our User Interface. We have looked at creating a shared group for our Git repo, but it seems very unsecure so we don’t want to go that route.

Is there any way around this? The ideal scenario is to have somebody push their local to the central repository, and any other user has the ability to clone that repo with their own username and password, without using GitHub or BitBucket.

1 answer

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2013

Hi Kyle,

There's a few reasons this can happen. First and foremost it would be because the other users don't have read access rights to that submodule repository, so make sure they've got access. Secondly, the submodule repository might be user-specific. By this, I mean it's something along the lines of https://user@hosting.com/path/to/repo and so every other user who updates will be trying to authenticate with that user. To fix this, get rid of the user-specification from the URL format so it's https://hosting.com/path/to/repo. You can do this from SourceTree by context-clicking on the submodule in the sidebar and hitting "Change Source URL..." as shown below.

Hopefully that helps, if not feel free to ask more questions.

Aglomantofino March 22, 2019

---

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events