It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I create a local branch using the web interface?

I've been encouraged to move away from the desktop application and do all of my tasks from the GitHub web interface.  How do I create a local branch from the web interface?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @David DeWitt,

welcome to the community. You might want to check out the Welcome Center to get started here.

Is your question actually about GitHub? Or did you mean Bitbucket? This forum is all about Atlassian tools - so it might be better to ask your question on the github community.

Since I use git myself, I can tell you that you cannot create a local branch directly from any web interface, but what you can do is the following:

• create a branch in the web interface
  • then you can fetch the new branch and switch to it with the following commands in a terminal session in your local repository:
    git fetch
    git checkout NAME-OF-BRANCH
    You can probably also do this with your desktop application.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Thanks Matthias!  Sorry about the confusion with which community to ask the question!?!?!  Your answer solves my issue.  Thanks again.  I'll make sure to separate Git and Atlassian issues in the future and post to the appropriate forums.

Like Matthias Gaiser -K15t- likes this

No worries, @David DeWitt! You can still always ask - and maybe get your answer even if there might be better places to ask your question. :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Off-topic

Do you still play the same games you played when you were a kid?

Months ago, I was walking in a huge grocery store and I went to the toys aisle and found a jigsaw puzzle that was more than 50% off, and I thought "why not? It will be fun and it can be a beautiful f...

315 views 35 12
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you