Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branching problem sourcetree

Vinzent Ellissen March 11, 2014

Hello,

all of the sudden the developer branch is not "marked purple" anymore and is not "branching off" but in line with the master branch (see image http://note.io/PsqqK0)

What happend and how can I fix that?

Thanks

3 answers

1 vote
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2014

See here: What do the colors of Branches and Tags mean?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2014

I knew I'd seen this before. Good link!

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2014

I remembered the link because it was my question ... ;-)

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2014

That is the standard way SourceTree will draw the graph in your situation. A branch will be drawn directly above the branch it was branched from unless/until the source branch receives another commit (you can test this by checking out master and committing anything).

One positive outcome is that anytime a branch is drawn this way, you can expect a merge from development back to master to be fast-forward, unless you check the option to force a new commit.

It should also be noted that the colors of the branches are completely meaningless. They are only user to help visually follow the history of a branch in cases where you have multiple parallel branches.

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2014

'Master' is not really a special branch - it's just a kind of naming convention for the main branch. Any branch may be promoted to be the main branch.

See here:: Why does my 'git branch' have no master?

I assume: As any branch might be the main branch, the branch currently checked out is usually drawn as main branch ("straight history line"). This is true from a user point if view: the currently checked out is currently the branch he is focused on ...

0 votes
Vinzent Ellissen March 14, 2014

Thanks a lot guys - I think I understand the issue now.

I will try and update in case it doesn't work for me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events