Branching problem sourcetree

Hello,

all of the sudden the developer branch is not "marked purple" anymore and is not "branching off" but in line with the master branch (see image http://note.io/PsqqK0)

What happend and how can I fix that?

Thanks

3 answers

That is the standard way SourceTree will draw the graph in your situation. A branch will be drawn directly above the branch it was branched from unless/until the source branch receives another commit (you can test this by checking out master and committing anything).

One positive outcome is that anytime a branch is drawn this way, you can expect a merge from development back to master to be fast-forward, unless you check the option to force a new commit.

It should also be noted that the colors of the branches are completely meaningless. They are only user to help visually follow the history of a branch in cases where you have multiple parallel branches.

'Master' is not really a special branch - it's just a kind of naming convention for the main branch. Any branch may be promoted to be the main branch.

See here:: Why does my 'git branch' have no master?

I assume: As any branch might be the main branch, the branch currently checked out is usually drawn as main branch ("straight history line"). This is true from a user point if view: the currently checked out is currently the branch he is focused on ...

See here: What do the colors of Branches and Tags mean?

I knew I'd seen this before. Good link!

I remembered the link because it was my question ... ;-)

Thanks a lot guys - I think I understand the issue now.

I will try and update in case it doesn't work for me.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Friday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: Riddle me this

Happy Friday, Funmakers! We had a Community Team offsite in Austin this week, and my mind feels primed for thinkin' from all the brainstorming we did!  So, this week's Friday Fun thread w...

262 views 35 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you