Best way to free up GIT LFS storage space for a Repo?

Hello!

My team and I, we'd been using GIT LFS for a while now, but it seems like with new pricing policies we are now only entitled to use 1GB of LFS storage space, we are attempting to free space by creating a new Repo and pushing our latest version of the current project to it, so that we can start with a clean LFS history slate, so to speak.

We are uncertain if this is the best way to free up space or if it'll work at all. So I wanted to see if there is anyone else out there with a similar issue, and how he/she resolved it.

I appreciate any help you might be able to provide and thanks in advance.

Cheers,

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

Hi Guillermo! The 1 GB LFS storage is per account, not per repository, so moving the files to a different repo within the same Bitbucket account would not be a solution for you.

You can delete some of the files if you no longer need them, as explained at Deleting remote LFS files.

Another option would be to get more LFS storage, you can upgrade your account or purchase extra storage as you can see at Bitbucket Cloud pricing.

For more info you can also read Bitbucket Cloud plan details.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Ana

Hello!

Thanks, Ana, I appreciate your answer.

As a matter of fact the solution we ended up using was a combination of the two. We did bought more LFS space (10Gb) and also deleted our previous Repository, this because LFS history remains, and the only (current) way of getting rid of that is to either delete each LFS item one by one or eliminate the repo on its entirety.

I unsuccessfully tried to re-write git history to free up LFS space, as detailed here

Could you pls elaborate on the need to "delete each LFS item one by one"? Do you mean having to do it in each commit of a repository's history?

Thanks! 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Keough
Published 12 hours ago in Training & Certification

The Project Administration in Jira Server Certification is here!

The Atlassian Certification you've been waiting for is here for good. We're thrilled to announce the official launch of our new Certification for Project Administration in Jira Server! The offering ...

61 views 0 7
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you