Always asked to authenticate with password

Whenever I try to push or clone or do anything using Git, it seems that stash is always asking me for my password. When I use tools that don't expect a command prompt, they lock up (i.e. Git Extensions).

I expected that once I set up my public key with Stash, I could use that to push to the repository without a password.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Hi Garabed.

The problem was that the <tt>Git Extensions</tt> wasn't able to add the <tt>Stash Host</tt> to the <tt>known_hosts</tt> file for some reason.

We had to set up a new <tt>Environment Variable</tt> on Windows with the following: <tt>GIT_SSH=<PATH_TO_PLINK_INSTALLATION></tt> and connect from the command line: <tt>"GIT_SSH" <STASH_HOST>:<SSH_PORT></tt> to get it work (msysgit was able to include the host in the file).

After that all started to work.

Also regarding to the authentication using HTTP/HTTPS we have a document that explains how to permanently authenticate with Git repositories so that you can avoid typing your username and password each time you are pushing to or pulling from Stash:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Permanently+authenticating+with+Git+repositories

Cheers,
Douglas Fabretti
Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Friday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: Dry T-Shirt Competition - What's your BEST (Atlassian) T-Shirt!?

[Note: So it was my turn for Friday Fun and sadly I was sick thanks to rubbish sinus infection... so apologies to most of Europe and Asia for the delayed post. However, I finally got out of bed for t...

238 views 19 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you