Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always asked to authenticate with password

Garabed Yeriazarian October 29, 2012

Whenever I try to push or clone or do anything using Git, it seems that stash is always asking me for my password. When I use tools that don't expect a command prompt, they lock up (i.e. Git Extensions).

I expected that once I set up my public key with Stash, I could use that to push to the repository without a password.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Douglas Fabretti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

Hi Garabed.

The problem was that the <tt>Git Extensions</tt> wasn't able to add the <tt>Stash Host</tt> to the <tt>known_hosts</tt> file for some reason.

We had to set up a new <tt>Environment Variable</tt> on Windows with the following: <tt>GIT_SSH=<PATH_TO_PLINK_INSTALLATION></tt> and connect from the command line: <tt>"GIT_SSH" <STASH_HOST>:<SSH_PORT></tt> to get it work (msysgit was able to include the host in the file).

After that all started to work.

Also regarding to the authentication using HTTP/HTTPS we have a document that explains how to permanently authenticate with Git repositories so that you can avoid typing your username and password each time you are pushing to or pulling from Stash:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Permanently+authenticating+with+Git+repositories

Cheers,
Douglas Fabretti
Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events