Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file is too large to show diff

John Landis November 3, 2015

Crucible File Diff function gives an error comparing revisions of a svn file (2.6Mb):

"(Filename) is too large to show a diff"

Is the default max filesize a configurable setting? If so, where is that value set?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2015

If you use Subversion you can adjust the size of what files are diff'ed by setting the Fisheye Maximum Indexable File Size to something smaller than the default 5mb.  The setting notes that "in Subversion repositories, files larger than this size will not have their contents or diffs displayed in the Fisheye or Crucible user interface...".  However, changing the default won't back-fill existing data, you have to reindex. 

Administration | Repository Settings | Defaults | Other Settings.  See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE036/Text+file+size+limiting

That said, Crucible may have some other built-in limit limitation on allowable file/diff size for reviews, but if it does it's not a configurable setting I've ever found. 

Victor Campbell May 13, 2016

The instructions say "files larger than this size will not have their contents or diffs displayed".  Are we supposed to make this parameter smaller to make it work?

Like Richard Cummack likes this
Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2016

Not sure I understand the question.  By default, Fisheye will only index files that are 5mb or smaller, and it skips anything larger than that.  So indexing works, it just works selectively. 

If you want text files larger than that to be indexed so you can view/search/diff them, you'll need to set it to a larger value (i.e. 10mb).  You don't want to set it too high, or you will adversely affect performance/resource usage.

If you set it to smaller than 5mb, fewer files will be indexed.  Presumably if you set it to 0mb, no files will be indexed. 

0 votes
John Landis November 4, 2015

Thanks for the good information, that's exactly what I needed. We'll run a reindex off-hours this weekend.

Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2015

If it works for you, please mark answer accepted. Just curious - why did you lower Max Indexable File Size? We've had performance issues, but I haven't seen this as a suggested tuning anywhere.

John Landis November 5, 2015

When we first installed Fisheye/Crucible several months ago, we had trouble indexing some large svn repositories, and thought reducing this might help. I suspect it had little effect, but our repositories are now stable so it won't be an issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events