Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polarion bug tracking integration with Crucible

Jose Camacho April 24, 2013

Hi,

we are currently evaluating a tool for code review, and crucible is one of the candidates in our list. One of the main plots it the integration with our current tool-landscape. We use:

- Subversion for version control

- Polarion for requirements, wiki and bug tracking.

I am having difficulties to get information about the integration of crucible with polarion. Therefore, I place here my questions:

Is it possible to integrate the Polarion-bug tracking mechanism with Crucible?

How?

Which limitations will we face?

Can we link review defects/commets with the bug?

What about the Polarion requirements/work items and the Crucilbe reviews? can you link them?

Thanks and regards,

José

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jose Camacho May 16, 2013

Atlassians answers bothers me continuously about selecting a valid answer. Well, here we go:

It is not possible to do what I described in the previous comment without developing an own Crucible plug in.

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2013

Why a plug-in for Crucible rather than for Polarion?

Jose Camacho May 16, 2013

I assume folowing workflow:

1. Review from Code in Crucible

2. Defect is identified: I want to open and track it in Polarion. In the default/test version of the Crucible installation you cannot select to track the defect in an external defect system. A possible workaround could be to add the Polarion link as comment in the defect

3. Further on, it would be nice if the Crucilbe comment updates according to the defect status in Polarion

To me, it seems that Polarion does not listen to the Crucible activity but the other way round: Polarion listen to the Crucible activity.

You suggested, if Polarion listens to Crucible, I need a Polarion Plug in; therefore, I assume that, if Crucible listens to the Polarion defect, I need a Crucible Plug-in.

Point 2 is a must, 3 is a nice-to-have feature. Please, feel free to add whatever information you think can help in this topic.

Thanks!

0 votes
Jose Camacho May 5, 2013

Actually, my question was too generic, sorry.

More in detail, what I am looking for is a way to create/track review-bugs in Polarion. The workflow is something like:

- Reviewing SVN code in Crucible

- A defect was identified

- This defect should be tracked as Polarion-defect

Currently, in our test installation, the only way we can do it, is creating the bug in Polarion (it includes a hyperlink to crucible) and then, insert the Polarion work-item adress into the comment information in crucible, marked as defect.

What I expect is something like a "Extern bug tracker" button or property that, after introducing a bug-ID, is able to generate a link to the Polarion defect.

I think, there is not a solution for it; in that case, just confirm it with a "u cannot do dat" or similar

0 votes
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2013

You should develop your own Polarion plug-in and listen for the Crucible activity (via RSS) to get the code reviews. And, for every review, look for the Polarion work items which are related to reviewed commit and create an external link to the code review in the Polarion work item.

The only gap would be: by default, Polarion links work items to commits trough the commit message, but it can also be done later (users can browse the reporitory and create a link). In this later case, if the user links the work item to an already reviewed commit, no any external link to the review would be created (AFAIK, the Polarion tracker does not throw any event to capture when a user creates a commit link, so it is not an easy case in order to be resolved in an automatic way).

Anyway, this is a simple solution very easy to implement and it would work decently if users always include the work item key in the commit message.

Regards,

Pablo.

0 votes
Sergey Svishchev
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2013

Integration is not likely unless Polarion can emulate JIRA (including its Fisheye plugin).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events