How to configure Load Balancer for Crucible? Any documentation available on this?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

Crucible can't be clustered, so what purpose would an LB serve?

Typical approach for better scaling. especially for enterprise level, we want go with multiple instances of crucible. and end user is exposed with load balancer host name. 

in this aspect, i am not sure how crucible instances will be able to share load to avoid performance issues. and how does licenses work?

I appreciate your help in this!!

> in this aspect, i am not sure how crucible instances will be able to share load to avoid performance issues. and how does licenses work they can't. If you're worried about the host name being expose you can just use a reverse proxy, ie apache or nginx.

You can set up a cold standby instance and make sure your lb always gives priority to currently active one. As Jamie noted, actual load balancing is not possible.

0 vote
Nick Pellow Atlassian Team Sep 09, 2014

You need a Crucible license, for each instance of Crucible you have running.

As mentioned previously however, Crucible can not be clustered, so load balancing will not work.

If you are concerned about performance due to many concurrent users, or many 1000s of projects on a single instance, one semi-solution which some customers use is to split your single instance down into separate ones. These will have different URLs etc and different data, though can work fine if your organisation can be split up into smaller groups of projects.

Also note that Crucible does not yet support project migration between instances, so choose wisely how to split...

you might be able to load balance at the network layer. Get a networking device that loads balance between the two websites but, you will have to find a way to have the DB's in sync and same data.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Trello

Alice Camilla on organizing your work/life/fandoms with Trello!

@Alice Camilla is a university student, currently writing her MA thesis in Archaeology. She's also a freelance blogger and content creator, writing about geeky stuff from productivity apps to JR...

39 views 1 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you