Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members
Community Events
Community Groups

How do I resolve FishEye v3.3 to v3.7 upgrade problems - especially creating new indexes?

I have been attempting to upgrade FishEye from v3.3 to v3.7 on Windows server and have run into a lot of problems. According to the upgrade notes the first step I should take was to uninstall the Windows Service (previously it was using wrapper.exe). This was successfully accomplished.

I created backups of the currently installed v3.3 Home and Install directories.

Next, I downloaded the v3.7 installer for 32-bit Windows. When I attempted to run it, nothing appeared to happen - certainly no installer UI appeared.

Next, I downloaded v3.6.4 and attempted to run that. Again, no installer UI appeared.

Next, I downloaded v3.5.4 and that finally offered an installer UI so I carried on with a v3.5.4 installation (assuming that it would be the way forward to an eventual v3.7 upgrade). The upgrade instructions suggested that I choose to perform a Custom install which I did. This was where my problems started. 

First, when I entered C:\Program Files\Atlassian\FishEye as the install directory, the installer refused - indicating that it could not install to a path with spaces. I therefore chose its suggestion to install to C:\Atlassian\FishEye.

Once installed, FishEye started, but requested Licenses (FishEye and Crucible). I supplied these (I have starter licenses valid till December 2015 for both).

When I was able to open the Administration screen I found that the installation was using the temporary database - not the SQLServer database that had previously been set up in v3.3. I attempted to configure that connection, only to find that FishEye had now initialised the database - ie all porevious content had been lost.

I also found that the repositories configured in the previous version had disappeared.

I stopped the FishEye service, and restored the database from the prrevious evenings backup. And restarted. There now appeared some data on the Dashboard - but still no repositories.

I started to re-create repositories, whereupon FishEye started creating completely new indexes.

This now looks as if it will take hours to complete.

My most pressing question therefore is - can I simply stop the FishEye service, copy the repositories in the backup (/var/cache/...) to the FishEye data directory and restart? Are there any other files that it needs?

2 answers

0 votes

Still having serious problems with FishEye/Crucible 3.7.0.

After a Windows server update and restart, FishEye refuses to display any of its web pages. I have performed the suggestion (i.e. Stop FishEye; Delete FISHEYE_INST/var/osgi-cache; Start FishEye) but that has not worked.

The first line of the exception text in the browser states:

avax.servlet.jsp.JspException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: javax.el.ELException: Problems calling function 'cru:renderHeader'

In the log file, this line was found:

Required plugin module com.atlassian.plugins.atlassian-nav-links-plugin:rotp-menu was either missing or disabled

Thoughts anyone?

0 votes

There were a number of primary issues at play here:

  • the FishEye upgrade instructions are very confusing - there are a number of quite critical user comments against these documents that are required reading for anyone considering a FishEye upgrade for example
  • any upgrade from v3.3.0 to a later version first requires that the deprecated wrapper method of running the Windows service be uninstalled - in my case this was successfully performed, but might be a problem for others who might not expect this magnitude of change in a minor version upgrade
  • any upgrade after v3.4 requires that the previous version be completely uninstalled - this is unlike other Altassian installers such as JIRA, Confluence etc
  • it appears that the v3.5.4 installer ignored the FISHEYE_INST OS environment variable altogether when it was first installed and created a completely different directory structure which initially went unnoticed. This could only be rectified by using the special configuration tool (Windows Start|FishEye|Configure FishEye)
  • the v3.5.4 installer refused to install into C:\Program Files\Atlassian\FishEye (where v3.3.0 was installed) - something about spaces in the file path - and instead, installed itself in C:\Atlassian. This meant the install was destined to be a disaster because the config.xml file that holds all the critical information about the existing installation, is not available - the upgrade instructions MUST be edited to make this clear to unsuspecting users performing pre-v3.4 upgrades.
  • the installer executables after v3.5.4 that I downloaded to try (v3.6.4 and v3.7.0) cannot be run from Windows Explorer with a double-click - they must instead be run from a command prompt.

Oh, I forgot - the v3.5.4 upgrade completely lost all previous code reviews which are held in the database. The install first used the local DB, completely ignoring the fact that an existing SQLServer 2008 database was already being used, and then when configured in the Admin page to use the SQLServer database, migration lost all the data in the existing database. I have a backup but that is from v3.3.0. I still have no idea how I might restore that database and migrate it to v3.7.0 (which is now installed)


Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer

Atlassian Community Events