How can I get review coverage in trunk if I require reviews in branches before merging those changes?

Don Hupp April 25, 2013

Our practice is to only allow reviewed code to be commited to trunk. We use highly-focused, short-lived branches for all of our changes. We generally branch for each bug or technical task being worked on. Then, we create reviews for the commits on those branches. Once the code has been reviewed, the change is merged into trunk and the branch is removed.

The problem we have is that while we have excellent review coverage of our code, that isn't reflected when you use crucible's Review Coverage Overview report. It shows that we have 0% coverage. How do y'all do this? Are you comitting directly to trunk and then reviewing there? Or am I missing some key traceability feature that will carry the reviewed line status forward through a merge?

2 answers

0 votes
Hector Palacios May 7, 2013

Hi,

I also want to do code review on temporary branches that will later be removed. I fear however that the reviews lose the changesets and comments when the git server runs the garbage colletor and removes dangling commits, as there will be no branch pointing to them. Have you checked if this happened?

0 votes
John Werner April 28, 2013

All of the projects I am responsible review the target of a merge after the merge. We've seen too many cases where something gets missed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events