FishEye mistakenly identifies .cs source as binary

Until very recently, FishEye correctly identified .cs source files correctly, and was able to create extremely useful unified diff presentations between change-sets.

For some unknown reason, this functionality no longer works, and it appears that FishEye is identifying these source code files as binary files.

Oddly, FishEye remains able to generate unified diff presentations for .xml files.

Have I inadvertently set, or unset, a configuration setting?

The platform I am working with is Visual Studio 2010, VisualSVN, FishEye 2.8.0, JIRA 5.0.6

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

I presume FishEye is connected to a Subversion repo. Have you set the mime-type property for any of the files in question? What is the charset of the files in question? Do they have any hi bit or multi-byte characters?

Hello Conor. Correct, FishEye is connected to a Subversion repository.

I don't believe that I have set any mime-type properties on any source files. How would I determine the mime-type and/or charset of these files? Can I control the mime-type property?

You can check the svn properties with svn proplist and svn propget if you are using the svn command line. At this point it may be best to create a support request at support.atlassian.com so we can look at the details of the files involved.

Hello again Conor. Thanks for the assistance.

I think I am getting a better handle on it.

Using the TortoiseSVN client on my development machine, I can view the svn properties on source files from the VS solution I am working on. I find that there is a mixture of some files having no svn:mime-type at all, and others with the property being present and set to application/octet-stream.

I am really puzzled why this should be the case. I have recently (mid-Dec 2012) migrated my development environment from Windows XP to a Windows 7 machine. Might that have anything to do with this phenomenon?

Is there any way that I can remove, or reset all the files which have this property present to text/plain

This is not a FishEye issue - the source is actually the TortoiseSVN client assigning an inappropriate svn:mime-type.

For future reference, the cause of this problem is as follows:

i) the TortoiseSVN client was automatically setting the svn:mime-type property on SOME newly added C# source code files (.cs) - but, NOT ALL.

ii) the explanation for this unusual behaviour is that the files to which TortoiseSVN inappropriately assigned this property were 'boiler-plate' classes that had been generated using a suite of stylesheets. Non boiler-plate C# sources added from VS IDE were NOT similarly affected.

iii) the solution is two-part:

first: remove the svn:mime-type property from offending file(s) using the TortoiseSVN via Properties context menu;

second: update the TortoiseSVN configuration via the Settings context menu - enable-auto-props == yes; *.cs = svn_mime-type = text/plain

Many thanks to Conor for the vital clue.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

76 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you