cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FishEye mistakenly identifies .cs source as binary

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

Until very recently, FishEye correctly identified .cs source files correctly, and was able to create extremely useful unified diff presentations between change-sets.

For some unknown reason, this functionality no longer works, and it appears that FishEye is identifying these source code files as binary files.

Oddly, FishEye remains able to generate unified diff presentations for .xml files.

Have I inadvertently set, or unset, a configuration setting?

The platform I am working with is Visual Studio 2010, VisualSVN, FishEye 2.8.0, JIRA 5.0.6

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Conor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2013

I presume FishEye is connected to a Subversion repo. Have you set the mime-type property for any of the files in question? What is the charset of the files in question? Do they have any hi bit or multi-byte characters?

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

Hello Conor. Correct, FishEye is connected to a Subversion repository.

I don't believe that I have set any mime-type properties on any source files. How would I determine the mime-type and/or charset of these files? Can I control the mime-type property?

Conor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2013

You can check the svn properties with svn proplist and svn propget if you are using the svn command line. At this point it may be best to create a support request at support.atlassian.com so we can look at the details of the files involved.

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2013

Hello again Conor. Thanks for the assistance.

I think I am getting a better handle on it.

Using the TortoiseSVN client on my development machine, I can view the svn properties on source files from the VS solution I am working on. I find that there is a mixture of some files having no svn:mime-type at all, and others with the property being present and set to application/octet-stream.

I am really puzzled why this should be the case. I have recently (mid-Dec 2012) migrated my development environment from Windows XP to a Windows 7 machine. Might that have anything to do with this phenomenon?

Is there any way that I can remove, or reset all the files which have this property present to text/plain

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2013

This is not a FishEye issue - the source is actually the TortoiseSVN client assigning an inappropriate svn:mime-type.

For future reference, the cause of this problem is as follows:

i) the TortoiseSVN client was automatically setting the svn:mime-type property on SOME newly added C# source code files (.cs) - but, NOT ALL.

ii) the explanation for this unusual behaviour is that the files to which TortoiseSVN inappropriately assigned this property were 'boiler-plate' classes that had been generated using a suite of stylesheets. Non boiler-plate C# sources added from VS IDE were NOT similarly affected.

iii) the solution is two-part:

first: remove the svn:mime-type property from offending file(s) using the TortoiseSVN via Properties context menu;

second: update the TortoiseSVN configuration via the Settings context menu - enable-auto-props == yes; *.cs = svn_mime-type = text/plain

Many thanks to Conor for the vital clue.

Like Laura H likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events