Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crucible fails to start git repository with message: Unable to get git version.

Petter Måhlén November 8, 2011

I've tried adding the first Git repository to a brand-new installation of Crucible, and I'm getting the following message when trying to start it:

Error
Failed to start repository rdr-evaluation-framework: Problem loading repository 'rdr-evaluation-framework' - Unable to get git version.
You are running release CR2.7.6 FE2.7.6 (20111107234450 2011-11-08), please report your release number when reporting bugs.

Any ideas what it could be due to? Git is available in /usr/bin/git and gives the following output when run as the user who started the Crucible process:

---> sitebuild@SERVER (0.07)$ git --version
git version 1.7.0.5

Thanks in advance for any help,

Petter

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Conor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2011

Please refer to this discussion on our old forums. The best bet seems to be to increase your swap space.

Petter Måhlén November 9, 2011

Increasing the memory allocated to the virtual Linux container solved the problem, the repository can be started now. Thanks for the help!

Like basile hachez likes this
2 votes
Jirong Hu February 9, 2014
0 votes
Conor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2014

Jirong,

FishEye executes the git command to interact with git repositories. It is necessary to have git installed and accessible to the FishEye process for FishEye to index a git repository.

0 votes
Conor
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2011

Can you look at the FishEye debug log in var/log and get some more detail about what is happening around the execution of the version check? There may be an exception stacktrace which helps to narrow down the cause. It may help to turn on debug level logging to get more information on the command as FishEye is executing it.

Petter Måhlén November 8, 2011

That seems like a good tip - it looks like Crucible is running out of memory:

Caused by: com.atlassian.utils.process.ProcessException: java.io.IOException:
Cannot run program "git": java.io.IOException: error=12, Cannot allocate memory

It's a little odd, though, because the heap size is set to 1GB, but the system info page is reporting Total Memory 224M, Free 70M, and the Linux VM is reporting about 300M free memory, and that the Java process is taking up 1645M virtual memory. Not sure how to reconcile those numbers?

Jirong Hu February 6, 2014

This is what I got in the Fisheye log:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "git": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

I installed Fisheye together with JIRA on a Windows box, running under Local System Account. My GIT repository is on a Linux box.

So what does log message mean? Who wants to run program "git" on where? I have git installed on the Fisheye server and added it to the system path, can run git from a command prompt.

Thanks

Jirong

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events