New "Accepted Answer" icon

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2018

Hello!

My concern is the newly introduced appearance of "Accept Answer" -> "Accepted Answer" icons. The overall idea is great - to make the signs bigger and easier to notice. And I think it works as intended.

But am I the only one who is confused by their colors?

I mean this one:

AcceptA.jpg

seems to me more "Accepted" (if you allow me to say so) than this one:

AcceptedA.jpg

As for me, the latter shows some kind of uncertainty.

I think it would be better vice versa. Something like that:

Accept answer2.jpg

... I think you've got the idea.

What do you people think? 

8 comments

Comment

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2018

@Grigory Salnikov I had the same feeling :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2018

I think so too.  The solid block of green looks like a "hey, this is good", and the outline looks more like a question "is this good?"

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2018

This is really tricky stuff.  "Accept" versus "Accepted" and outline vs solid-color.  I suspect the idea was for "Accept Answer" in an outline button was the hint to "click here!" and "Accepted Answer" in a solid block was to indicate "this is the one!"  The words may or may not be an improvement from the circle with the checkmark in it so this is good feedback to the design team.  I personally like the words in the boxes although I wonder how well it works for non-English speakers.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2018

The colouring above works nicely as an indicator for the author of the thread. Their action is to accept an answer.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2018

I agree. Quick mock-up below I think the left side is more visually intuitive than the right side.

Untitled.png

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2018

Maybe the button for AcceptED Answer just needs to read ACCEPTED? @Test User KL

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2018

t least that will visually distinguish for those of us that have bad vision and/or issues reading within different color schemes. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2018

If there are more than one answers, it might be a problem to see at first glance, which Accept-Button you should click. The one above or the one directly underneath the question. 

image.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2018

Also true - because of the current fashion to try to avoid delineation with lines, it's not too clear that the accept applies to the answer below, unless it's the first answer.

In some ways, the tick to the left was better in that sense - it clearly belonged to the answer on the same line, although people definitely missed it all the time.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2018

Good observation.

Moreover, today I had a situation when these icons partially screened messages behind them.

Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2018

What do you mean by "icons partially screened messages behind them"? The icons didn't show up?

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2018

No, icons shielded the text and it was partially unreadable.

Should I encounter this behaviour again, I'll post a screenshot.

Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2018

Yes please take a screenshot next time. I'd be interested to see if I can replicate it.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2018

Hi, @Test User KL!

It's me again.

I did some research and, as promised, am back with the results.

Today I've encountered something like this (though the icons 'shielded' even more text):

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here's the example page:

How do I pre-populate text to a description field on JIRA Cloud version 7.x?

I've also noticed this:

3.jpg

It happens all the time when the page is not fully loaded and lasts a couple of seconds.

A small thing but still an eye-catcher.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2018

As an addition, I also attach examples from the mobile view (page is the same as above):

IMG_20181011_231102.pngIMG_20181011_231123.png

Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
October 11, 2018

Ohhh I see. Yes we are aware of that bug. It's essentially a padding/margin error.

cc:@mattjared 

Kevan Lin
Atlassian Team
October 11, 2018

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We've known about the issue behind accepting an answer for quite some time and are trying to improve this experience. Obviously with every change there could also be something better, all of these comments are helping in making this experience even better - so keep them coming!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 12, 2018

@Grigory Salnikov great discussion, thank you for starting it!

You could always move it into the Feedback Forum for the rest of the community to weigh in as well, but I'll leave it here in case you wanted to keep it to Champions only. 

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2018

@Monique vdB, you are welcome! Glad to help :)

Yes, I'll certainly move it into the Feedback forum, where it belongs.

At first, I was unsure where to publish it.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2018

Dang - now I know there is a secret squirrel area I cannot see.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2018

:)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 15, 2018

@Kat Warner you never know, you may get into the secret squirrel area one of these days. 😉

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2018

FWIW, here is my $0.02.

I would like to see a cleaner look w/ fewer words. I liked the simply check mark TBH but clearly it was not obvious enough. So how about this...

accept.jpg

If we thing that including "Answer" as part of this then I would vote for only doing so on the "Accept" button. There is not value adding to "Accepted".

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2018

Another update that may be helpful.

Today I've received a notification that my answer has been accepted:

IMG_20181019_091616.png

I don't know what exactly happened, but when I logged in to check and reply my answer was no longer accepted:

IMG_20181019_091438.png

I tend to think that the end-user may have been confused by the outline icon and changed it back to solid green, which seems 'more accepted'.

There should be logs somewhere.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2018

We discussed exactly this yesterday in the Community Board, and the champions pretty much all agreed that the outline/solid should be reversed so the solid green shows "accepted". 

The leads have several things they're looking at changing around the "accept" process, and this is one of them.

For what it's worth, the acceptance rate jumped by 7% when the bigger green boxes appeared.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2018

Just a small follow-up from my experience:

usercase.jpg

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events