Just how much interest needs to be gathered before Atlassian considers a feature request?

Berin Loritsch July 17, 2019

The page you have to describe your process says that a feature that isn't ready to be triaged is in the state "Gathering Interest".  My question is what level of interest do you need to start looking at a request?

Is there a specific number of votes?  Set of comments?  Is 100 votes enough?  1000?

I ask this because there is a feature that would make my life a lot easier that has nearly 100 votes, but has been left untouched for years.  The feature would be relatively quick to implement, and is a missing feature of the markdown spec.

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2019

It's not a simple "number of votes" - that is one factor, but there's also the support requests from customers that it might affect, the overall plan for developing the software, the new features that could be added, priority against other things, data coming from TAMs and integrators, and, and, and.

Berin Loritsch July 24, 2019

Everything you mentioned has to do with the decision process to include a request in a future release.  I understand the vetting process, what I'm asking is what is the threshold for a request to reach the vetting process?

How does a request go from a community request to at least be looked at for initial review by a member of the Atlassian development team?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2019

I think you've missed my point - there's no simple threshold based on votes.

If you insist on a definition of "threshold", the best I can do is "it's in the backlog, and it contains words which may be of interest to the developers, product owners, integrators (internal and internal), TAMs, partners asking questions, and and and"

Atlassian support and development teams review new requests weekly, or even more frequently, but the sheer volume of backlog means they have to be very strict on refinement and what to draw in to both the sprints and long-term plan.  Jira Server's (public) backlog of stuff they don't want to shut down as "duplicate or going in the wrong direction" is almost 10k issues alone.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events