[New] Get set up with a Jira or Confluence Cloud sandbox!

Hi Atlassian Community!

My name is Matt and I’m a product manager on the Atlassian Cloud team. I co-host our lovely change management community group (which you should absolutely join if change is a topic that interests you).

For those of you who don’t know, we launched our cloud sandbox experience to Premium and Enterprise customers back in October 2020. This allows customers the ability to create an isolated environment that can be used for safely testing and previewing changes. By default, a sandbox is empty when it’s created.

I’m happy to announce today that you can now copy both Jira & Confluence data into your sandbox in just a few clicks! (4 to be precise). Sandboxes are available to both Premium and Enterprise products. For more information about how sandboxes work, please see our official documentation.

cloud sandboxes.png

Note: You need to be an organization administrator in order to see the sandbox screen

Data copying will allow you to have a sandbox that mirrors your production as closely as possible, with a few caveats:

• Data copying for Jira includes all of the product data, excluding attachments (images, videos, etc) and marketplace apps' data.

• Data copying for Confluence includes all of the product data and attachments (images, videos, etc), excluding marketplace apps' data.

• Data copying will fail if:

To stay updated and collaborate with us about what we’re doing, please join us in our community group. If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below!

Cheers,

Matt

3 comments

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2021

Hey @Matt Tse - I recall hearing about this in February. Unfortunately that was a few months after I wrapped up an assignment with a client who sorely needed this feature (I emailed them a heads-up.)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/can-t-find-action-to-import-production-data-to-sandbox/qaq-p/1601050

Can you tell us what's changed since February?

I do notice that you don't copy over Automation rules, which is a good thing, since Automation uses a different email server than the built-in one which you disable as part of the copy process. (AUT-1897 was filed to address this, but I don't think they actually understood the issue. I've tried to clarify that in JST-557361)

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2021

Hey @Darryl Lee! Was great chatting with you in person today. Great question and apologies for not being clearer in the post.

The core functionality of data copying hasn't changed since February; however, the notable differences are:

• Data copying is now available to 100% of customers. We ended up having to pause the rollout at 50% back in February because we had a few optimizations we needed to make to improve the success rate of the copying operation. 
  • We've increased the file size limit of Jira data copying from 10GB to 20GB. We know this doesn't address the issue for every customer, but we'll continue to improve this as we go.

Glad to hear that our decision to not copy over automation rules is still making sense! Thanks for sharing that ticket with us. 

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2022

Learning about Jira sandboxes today and starting with this post ... Late to the party I know ... but looking forward to it! Thanks for this @Matt Tse 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events