Improving the way you manage notifications

49 comments

GavinD July 9, 2021

As with the comments above - the removal of the deletion option, to self-filter your current days priorities has created an unnecessary complication(s), which have been more that succinctly covered by the contributions above.
My workflow has now been disrupted - sometimes it takes a customer (up to 2 months) to clarify / amend / update a specific request.......this was held in abeyance in the notifications - a constant reminder each day that the task was still to be resolved.
Read or unread - this would be deleted after 30 days.
Creates very unhappy customers and an inefficient Service Desk.

I wonder how many other users, who have not read, or acknowledged the change, and simply accepted the change....................may have responded negatively to this "new" feature.

IMHO, I would have preferred to have been consulted.  

Like # people like this
Paul July 9, 2021

@Andrew Murdoch"They get drunk and throw darts at a board that have ideas there kids some up with, if they hit the idea twice it goes into the software."

I'll add this to my collection of famous quotes ... :)))

Like # people like this
Paul July 9, 2021

@Arthy, Andrew Murdoch gave you a correct approach which is more important in the long term than a particular solution for a very specific issue. Basically, this is the problem with your proposed solution: the approach from system design point of view.

Like GavinD likes this
George Rich July 9, 2021

What Martin just said.  I too was using notifications as a workaround for a todo list.  The change basically ruined that workflow.

I just want an easy way to see what issues are needing attention.  Preferably something that shows me the set of issues as opposed to every itemized change

Like # people like this
Seth James Farrell July 9, 2021

I really dislike this "upgrade" and wish I still had the ability to delete messages out of my notifications drop down. This totally effects my workflow and leaves unwanted information in my notifications menu. I totally agree with @Martin above that this is a blunder and needs to be fixed asap!

Like # people like this
Kathleen Williams July 12, 2021

Would like to be able to delete a notification once I am finished with it, like we could before this update. Waiting 30 days until they are auto deleted will lead to the list becoming a bit much to manage. You really don't own your notifications at that point.

Like # people like this
gsa asas July 15, 2021

I have custom designed jira for manfacturing organizations and also for distinctive capabilities in the organisation like Legal guideteam, Business reaction groups, resource control and other business functions as properly.

Ben Edwards July 16, 2021

@Arthy what is Atlassian's position here? Is this change getting walked back? Do we need to purchase server so we don't continue to run into these disruptive issues?

Like GavinD likes this
Joe August 11, 2021

I work on a product where, if I change a feature in even the slightest way, I get 202 users jumping down my throat complaining about how they loved that feature and how I am a sub-moron for making the change (not a peep out of the other 49798 users).  Kinda like the noise in the comments above.  I've learned to make the changes optional.  Granted, the options list is getting large, however, when I get a complaint, the answer is simply "go to the options page and change it back from whence it came". 

Just sayin' ....

(btw:  since I read the notifications once, then nuke them all, this feature change is fine by me).

Andrew Murdoch August 31, 2021

@[deleted](Sorry if this isn't Atlassian) - When is this problem going to be fixed? 

You've effectively destroyed the notification area, you've been told to fix it, so when are you going to do that? 

I need a functional notification area, which is NOT what you've provided, you have 24 hours to provide an update, before I'll ask again.

Like # people like this
Joe August 31, 2021

wow - tell us how ya really feel ......

Like # people like this
Andrew Murdoch September 10, 2021

Why is my last comment missing? As it appears to have been deleted / removed, I'll post it again.

@Atlassian(Sorry if this isn't Atlassian) - When is this problem going to be fixed? 

You've effectively destroyed the notification area, you've been told to fix it, so when are you going to do that? 

I need a functional notification area, I'm hoping if I post this twice you might actually respond.

@Atlassian(Sorry if this isn't Atlassian) - When is this problem going to be fixed? 

I need a functional notification area.

We want an answer, and we want the old functionality restored.  The notification system is functionally useless the way it is, and it doesn't help that every time I login I have to flip the stupid stupid toggle to hide the previous notifications. 

Like Ben Edwards likes this
Andrew Murdoch September 13, 2021

@[deleted]- Are you going to keep ignoring the requests to reverse this mockery of a notification area?  You can't bother yourself / company to comment and give us a timeline when it's going to be removed!

Do you honestly think people are going to recommend your software when you continuously ignore / spit in the face of your customers?    There's enough comments on this thread that you know what has to happen, but you stay silent? 

You've incorrectly implemented this feature, and fair enough it happens.  You've had people explain how to fix it, and still keep the current notification area, regardless how functionally useless it is.

How about you answer us with a timeline, because it's ridiculous you won't.

Like # people like this
GavinD December 8, 2021

And so.................................

Having returned to work after extended Sick-leave.

I appear to have lost nearly all communication "notifications" during that period. So have no idea - without having to manually go through all my requests to "catch up" - where the customers updated priorities are.
Which is causing somewhat of a headache all round.

Really who though this upgrade was a good idea.

Sigh!!!

Like # people like this
Olga Blyumin January 12, 2022

is there a way to remove notifications from "Issue Checklist Pro"? for every checklist item I add to an issue, I get an unread notification that "Issue Checklist Pro updated an issue". In case it's not obvious... I already know. This makes my notifications completely unusable.

Like # people like this
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 14, 2022

@Olga Blyumin,

The notification is added by Jira when Issue Checklist updates custom fields.  

The only way to disable notification is by disabling custom fields integration in Issue Checklist, as explained in Issue Checklist docs.

There are two tickets open in Jira that would help disable notifications and still use Issue Checklist integration with Jira custom fields. Please comment and vote them (and ask your colleagues to do the same):

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-77781

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/ACJIRA-2077

Like Guillaume Grenier likes this
Line Lengfelder May 20, 2022

As an Atlassian partner employee, working on several sites/various customers, and the In-app notification Icon in Jira and Confluence Cloud:

I find it disturbing that I get notifications from all the different sites I have access to in the same list, and I can not see which site the notification is from (good luck remembering all the project keys...).

When I work in one customer's site I'd like the notification list NOT to be cluttered with notifications from all the others. I understand the thought behind, and it might be useful for some - in my case it's just noise/steals attention/provokes context switching when not wanted.

I'd like a filter to show/hide per site or something like that, and same for the start page. At least give us the opportunity to separate them when needed (like when I solve a single issue for one customer, then work a few weeks for another, then a third, before shifting again).

I also need to be able to delete or archive messages, which you said you'd make available again a year ago.

Like Susanne Ertle likes this
Andrew Murdoch June 17, 2022

When is this being turned off / reverted?  The notifications are still functionally useless, please revert this change!

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2022

Is there any plan to allow apps to stop sending notifications? I found this ticket that looks related https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-77781

What's happening now is when someone does updates to issues with our apps they get a bunch of notifications about the updates making the notification section very hard to use.

Thank you! 😊 

Holger Bracker June 29, 2022

Good afternoon all,

well it seems that with our latest update to version 8.20.8 (Server), the bell has definitely disappeared which is really sad. I have teams working with this and do not have the time to check their emails for every notification.

As I can read my predecessors, a configurable top menu bar notification function is needed by most.

What's the current status please?

Best

Ben Edwards June 29, 2022

@Caroline Jeppe the silence is deafening. Please listen to your customers. My workaround for now is to use the iOS app which still has functional notifications that you can delete and action.

Like Holger Bracker likes this
Holger Bracker June 29, 2022

@Ben Edwards well I just helped myself using the AddOn "In-App and Desktop Notifications for JIRA". But still, Atlassian should be able to create something useful themselves.

Andrew Murdoch September 7, 2022

Atlassian - The notifications are still broken!  When will the problem be fixed?  Revert the notification changes, as you've been told to do by the majority of the people on this thread.  Once you're reverted the notification system to a sensible state, add an option into the settings that allows a user to choose the insane format you're currently using.

Like GavinD likes this
Ann.Smythe July 4, 2023

If I click on the notification and go to the ticket and read the comment it "marks" it as read, is there a way that I can set it to only mark as read if I click on the blue circle?

Like Mark Rosenberg likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events