How do you analyze GC logs, thread dumps and head dumps?

Hi awesome community! 

In this article, I would like to describe the one of the toolset (service) for the analyze some problems on different Java-based instances, of course, as Atlassian administrator, first of all, it is Atlassian applications.

First, of the all, I want to say many thanks to the Atlassian Ecosystem developers for the providing Troubleshooting and Support tools. Because a lot of users can provide easy support.zip with thread dumps and GC logs if it is enabled (since 7.4 it is pre-populated in the configs). By the way, you can take a thread dump yourself using the jps ( or old way ps aux | grep java) and  jstack. I hope these useful articles will help you (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).

Well, let's back to our steps about GC, if you click and read the KB about GC logging then you will find already interesting tools GC viewer, Visual GC, but it will be good if we have the same thing in the online and with ML (Machine Learning).

Hence, you can use these online tools which will provide for you easily some view of your system and you can automate it by public REST API

* All 3 links work as one.

After uploading you will easier grouping and how threads changed in a different time period.

image.png 

For the GC logs, you can see like these parameters

image.png

And finally, I like to see a conclusion like this 

image.png 

This article is based on the many questions to me from an online community and AUG members, like how do you review GC logs in short time? 

Hope it helps and you will earn capacity for other awesome tasks.

P.S. I hope someone will provide more methods (in atlassian-python-api) for better automate process through support tools instead of bash scripts :)  I'll be happy.

P.S.S.  And we monitoring by prometheus and exporter more detail info you can read in article "Monitoring of Atlassian applications with Prometheus"

P.S.S. Also, you can do it by Zabbix, nagios through JMX.

Thanks for your attention. 

you can read all other articles find here

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov 

4 comments

Comment

Deleted user March 26, 2019

Any similar tool for .Net/C# ?

Thanks.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2019
Deleted user March 27, 2019

That's what we already use.

I was hoping for some online windbg-like tool, able to load GB-class thread dumps :)

Like Gonchik Tsymzhitov likes this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2021

@[deleted]  Did you figure out?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events