Community notification defaults changing on 8/21

This is a community pre-release note. After gathering feedback and testing on our end, we're ready to update our default community notifications. We'll be making the change next week, Tuesday evening Pacific time.

What will change?

• If you are following a group or collection, you will be notified of initial posts in collections but not replies; you will have to participate in a thread or watch it in order to get notified of replies
  • New collection activity will be sent in a daily digest rather than immediately.
  • Users will not longer get notified of edits to posts by default 

This screenshot shows the new settings:

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 1.07.05 PM.png

Why is it changing?

We've gotten a lot of feedback both in the thread I linked and through other channels that watching a collection or joining a group can be overwhelming. We're attempting to cut down on the noise and boost the signal for our new users.

What do I need to do?

Take a look at your settings. Are you happy with them? This update should not override your current preferences if you've changed from the defaults, but just in case, please screenshot or note down your settings. Once we release the changes, I'll post again so you can double check that your settings are still aligned with your preferences.

Hopefully this will result in a better experience for our new users!

6 comments

Emily Errico August 16, 2018

I'm receiving accepted answer notifications for my own questions, will that be fixed in this update? If not, is there a way I can turn that off?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 16, 2018

@Emily Errico we've got a task in the backlog to fix this eventually, but for now your option is to disable accepted answer notifications for all questions you're watching. It's the check box that's the 6th one down under "Frequency" -- you can see from my settings below I turned that one off too. 🙂

This link should take you to the right page in your settings.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 9.46.27 AM.png

@Monique vdB Ah, ok. Glad to hear it's on the to-do list! I'm going to keep that setting on for now because I'm usually watching far more questions than asking them myself.

FYI, there's a duplicate setting in "Edits made to posts in collections I'm watching for me. There's a "For all but minor edits" and "For all but minor edits (default)".

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 16, 2018

@Emily Errico all the categories have duplicates like that; it's a very weird UX that we will also eventually fix.  🙃

@Monique vdB Hey, it did make me think twice about which setting I wanted, so that's a bonus! :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 21, 2018

These changes have been made! Check your settings. :) 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events